Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

splits all round?

bikerpunker

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' super6 stato
hey all,
Ive got a vs stato and am loading it chock a block with audio gear.
is there any reason why i couldn't run splits in the front doors, back doors and on the parcel shelf? Im just dreaming of surround sound bliss..haha

Thanks to jaycar 6.5' splits cost a measely $150..

cheers.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
bikerpunker said:
hey all,
Ive got a vs stato and am loading it chock a block with audio gear.
is there any reason why i couldn't run splits in the front doors, back doors and on the parcel shelf? Im just dreaming of surround sound bliss..haha

Thanks to jaycar 6.5' splits cost a measely $150..

cheers.

Not at all, knock yourself out but 3 sets may be overdoing it.
Personally I only need splits up front for my listening pleasure, Passengers can get the crap :D

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
for sure that would be neat, but before u placed them permanently i'd check what they sound like in a few different positions, so u dont get crossed sounds and what not...

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
ditch either the speakers in the doors or in the parcel shelf- 3 pairs is too many. Remember with speakers, less is often more

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Spend the money on one GOOD set rather than 3 average sets of speakers.

bikerpunker

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' super6 stato
im divided..semi- i am new to this saying and have never heard anyone say it..why is less often more?
Is there a reason why 3 is too many?or is this simply your opinion?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Do you want good sound or loud?

Good sound = better splits
Louder = MULTIPLE sets of average splits

Also, most people prefer their sound to come from in front of them... Have 2 sets behind you will sound realy strange. Like sitting backwards in your home theatre :p

Last edited:

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Yeah, as everyone else has said, one quality set of front splits only. One set of ~$450 speakers will own three sets of $150 ones for sound quality, if not loudness as well.

Splits are all about the ability to mount the tweeters and mids separately to get the best "imaging" and "staging" etc. This is only going to be effective in the front. Rear speakers will distort the image/staging from the all important fronts. Just put some coaxes in the rear if you must have rear speakers, faded heavily to the front.

The only reason to fit rears IMHO is to have true surround sound for dvd movies. This would also require a centre front channel as well as multiple amp channels. Are you going to watch movies in your car?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i'd put splits in the doors only. if you have to have speakers in the parcel shelf then go with coaxes. and a sub or two in the boot for some bass. but not turned up so much they shake the **** out of you car and make it vibrate, just enough to make the music sound full.