Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Splits in front and rear doors?

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Ok guys, I really, REALLY appreciate the input (especially Joey Peeps, thanks bloke :thumbsup: )....

Maybe I should be more explicit in what I want from my car audio sound!!
Ok, 70% of the time I'm driving on-my-own! I like to listen to a lot of different music eg, AC/DC, Led Zep, LL Cool J, NIN, The Crystal Method (my CD collection is massive 500+ CD's I think!!), radio station is JJJ. The rest of the time I'll have the kids in the back and the missus next to me. We do take long (2 to 5 hour) trips at least once a month, so the kids being able to hear the Wiggles "Hot Potato", "Fruit Salad", etc, etc, is probably important... I do like my music LOUD when I'm on my own..

Ok, so where do I go from here???

Thanks again,

Marz.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Appreciate the props man, when you finish uni you get to spend all day online :)

Ok: Not wanting to bogart the thread, but if i was in your position, this is what i would do based on countless hours reading (and a few spent auditioning) and also assumes you will never want a sub

- Go ahead with Phreddy's mod as planned - all reports give two thumbs up and his advice is always spot on.
- Go the jaycar splits up front. They are king in the under $250 price bracket - 12volt, phreddy, Garfa etc have all posted similar sentiments so this is a safe bet
- Buy the jaycar 2x80wrms amp
- Leave the rears stock: They'll be good to play the wiggles no problems...

Get in your car and crank that classic rock - Gods gift to man!!!!! I also recommend In Flames if you havent already heard of them. soundtrack to your escape and come clarity = good Enjoy, and good luck

fnlow1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais '93
I would tend to agree with the advice Joey Peeps has given.... if you want to throw some more money at the system I would only go for something worth a little more than the Jaycar splits in the front.

Ie Boston 6.5's, Focal etc etc

But I dare say you would be more than happy with the results that Joey's suggestions will bring you :thumbsup:

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Again, THANKS Joey Peeps...

Errm, why the 2x80 amp Joey Peeps??? Seems a bit of a waste getting phreddy's mod done and only using half of it!!!

Just looking at the Jaycar splits again (catalog & website) there doesn't seem to be any spec's listed for them!!!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I would tend to agree with the advice Joey Peeps has given.... if you want to throw some more money at the system I would only go for something worth a little more than the Jaycar splits in the front.

There in lies the problem. You have to throw in a LOT more money to better the quality of the Jaycar.

Here is my recommendation and its pretty close to JPs

Front Doors Jaycar 6.5" Components $149.95

Rear Doors Jaycar 6.5" Coaxials $119.45

Amplifier 4x100 Jaycar $299.95

Now, yes that amp is a little bit of overkill for the speakers but you said you like id loud right? Well, then you would'vebeen let down by that 4x50 or 2x80. If you like it loud and you want some form of bass then you need to amplify all four speakers. Trust me on the that one! Especially if your not running a sub. I don't run a sub in my wagon (shock horror disbelief!) but I do have all four door speakers amped and if I fade out the rear two speakers then the quality and bass just drop to virtually nothing.

So, this will probably be a little more then you wanted to spend but lets be honest here...not by too much! It's only by about $70 and you are getting a much better system then what you intended to purchase :)

Hope this helps

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Ive been schooled on the front soundstage is better ideals, and as such i figured i'd save you some dough and cut out the rears altogether - i forgot the point of phreddy's mod, so you make a valid point. As such im Jumping on the 12volt bandwagon - he always comes through in the clutch! Peace

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Joey, that train of schooling works well when there is a subwoofer involved.

Marzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Thanks 12Voltking!

I was thinking along the line you suggested... That is, to compensate for the lack of a sub I really should keep the rear door speakers in some form... That's not to say that Joey Peeps suggestions were bad/wrong in any way. I still may go with the splits in the rear doors, but I will definitely up the amp to 100W x 4, even though it goes over my prescribed budget, I'll just have to save a few more $$$ for the upgrade.

Again, thanks to all that have contributed to this thread and I'll try and post an install thread (with pics) when the job is done.

Marz.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanks 12Voltking!

I was thinking along the line you suggested... That is, to compensate for the lack of a sub I really should keep the rear door speakers in some form... That's not to say that Joey Peeps suggestions were bad/wrong in any way. I still may go with the splits in the rear doors, but I will definitely up the amp to 100W x 4, even though it goes over my prescribed budget, I'll just have to save a few more $$$ for the upgrade.

Again, thanks to all that have contributed to this thread and I'll try and post an install thread (with pics) when the job is done.

Marz.

Not a problem Marz. To be perfectly honest though...I would waste my money on the splits for the rear doors.

hawkau

Reaction score
Just a thought I heard elswhere. Get the set of jaycar splits and a set of the jaycar coaxals but use the woofer from the splits in the front door and the woofer from the splits for the rear door. Apparantly the magnet in the coaxals is bigger than the splits thus producing a bit more sound.