Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spray Gun Conundrum

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all,

Well today I purchased the velocity 3 gun set that consists of a 1.0 touch-up gun, 1.4 & 1.8 gun. Turns out the bigger guns are identical and the only difference being the tip size. After having a look at the velocity range again I found you can actually just buy the same gun that comes with both 1.4 and 1.8 tips!

I am considering taking them back and exchanging them for the single gun unless theres a benefit of having both? I will be mainly spraying acrylic and possibly 2k on the occasion which means I will mainly just need the 1.8 for everything acrylic and 1.4 for 2k top coats? Should I be worried about the touch-up gun?

So really the bottom line is would there be any benefit in having both guns? I guess I could use the 1.8 tip between them and have one for primer and the other top coats. But would this actually be easier than just blowing thinners through the one gun before changing mediums? Or not that simple?

I should mention that I'm new to using a gun but kinda know enough to get the ball rolling. Got a bonnet, guard and two doors that need to be sprayed on my wagon. Perfect practice IMO and can be sprayed off the car. :)

Cheers!

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
whats the price difference?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Well the single gun goes for $132 and the 3 guns $245 so really the mini gun is a freebie. The 3 gun set also includes spare seals, springs and other do-hickys whereas the single gun doesnt so I guess the obvious choice would be to hang onto them. Thanks for the replies this probably wont be the last time you'll hear from me :p

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
mate, youll break the pot on one of the guns by looking at it weirdly and then youll be glad for the spare parts.

Not this brand but I know the feeling, spraying a neighbours roller door, topped the pot up and screwed the lid back on and the pot sheared straight off with the tightening action.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Lucky it was water base, black paint on a stencil crete driveway is not a good look.

holdendude

ŞuρξЯŞ†★Ř
Reaction score
Members Ride
*AL4SHO* VR Commodore
Keep the 3 gun set, you can use the larger needle/tip one for spraying primer & acrylic paint, and the smaller needle/tip for your 2pack paints. The little touch up gun is great for doing little spray jobs and hard to reach places :)

Also the more you pull your gun apart the more chance of damaging & wearing the fluid needle....