Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spray Gun Conundrum

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
In 25years I have never damaged a spray gun by correctly dismantling and assembling it and I strip it every time i use it, I don't know any other way to get all the paint out of the body, needle, tip or cap.

nyteshyft

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series II Commodore Sportswagon
I wouldn't paint anything in Acrylic. I'd stick to 2k. Use the 1.8 for HS primer. Use the 1.4 for 2k basecoats and topcoats. If you paint with Acrylic you're going to have to buff the crap out of everything, whereas 2k is already shiny. Pulling the gun apart won't damage anything unless you drop the needle. Don't soak the gun too long in thinners, it dries out the seals and packings. Also, run thinners in the gun after cleaning, cleaning it in gunwash is fine, but it's full of impurities, it just gets paint off. By running thinners through it after cleaning you get rid of the impurities the gunwash has left behind. Cleanliness is the most important part of painting, if there is dust, silicone or any impurities on the panel, in the gun, in the line, in the compressor, in the paint, etc. then you'll have all sorts of problems. Practice makes perfect, watch your overlap, flash off times, etc. Also note that every paint brand is different, from mixing ratios to application, also, you get what you pay for. Practice with motorspray and use Glasurit or Standox for the real thing. Standox likes being wet, I put the basecoat on wetter than the clear. Standox is the best IMHO but every painter is different and has their own preferences. Also, Velocity is good for practicing, but if you're going to do a proper paint job for your car I'd recommend getting an Iwata, DeVilbiss, or a SATA, all conventional gravity fed guns. Paint is also very expensive, so learn fast! lol. :)

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Keeping the guns and I will be spraying acrylic without a doubt. Got a litre tin of protec acrylic that came with the car, I also know a few people who spray with this brand of acrylic and get good results. Will be spraying in a not-so-good shed too. Plus this car was sprayed with acrylic from the factory so thats good enough for me. Sure you can buy expensive paint and guns but for what I want the car for its probably going to get more dents and scratches anyway.

Been reading through a gregorys book on spray painting that actually covers spraying with the protec acrylic range. Reckons minimal or even no compounding required - should get a glossy finish off the gun. I will be the judge of that lol

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
glossy finish off the gun is possible but itll be peely. thus requiring wetsand/polish. then itll require polishing every year. but yeah i can understand why peeps wanna use acrylic for health reasons. its only when they say "acrylic is easier to use" which is a bunch of crap. 2k flows, lands, sits and flashes off soooo much nicer than acrylic.

also 95% of my back yard jobs have been done with protec stuff, all with a really nice finish. it actually behaves really well for the price.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
glossy finish off the gun is possible but itll be peely. thus requiring wetsand/polish. then itll require polishing every year. but yeah i can understand why peeps wanna use acrylic for health reasons. its only when they say "acrylic is easier to use" which is a bunch of crap. 2k flows, lands, sits and flashes off soooo much nicer than acrylic.

also 95% of my back yard jobs have been done with protec stuff, all with a really nice finish. it actually behaves really well for the price.

acrylic is wonderful. especially when i have a good supply of paint stripper on the shelf...

ari- i should turn you on to this new clear ive been using. we tried it out and started using it on all our jobs. the owner of the company has given our shop a written guarantee to use it over standox. its 2:1 and we buy it in 60 litre lots. (30 litres of it is $590, so its like $150-160 for a 7.5 litre kit) its cheap as hell but behaves and has the gloss of the expensive stuff. i compare it to glasurit in flow, film build and gloss level. done 4 resprays with it already. called AQL ultra high solid clear..

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
AQL ultra high solid clear..

Are you saying it is a 2k clear that goes over acrylic?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
AQL ultra high solid clear..

Are you saying it is a 2k clear that goes over acrylic?

if its base color thats meant to have 1k clear sprayed over it than no (if you used a mid coat adhesion promoter like dupont 222S over the acrylic base maybe, but ive never done it). the company that makes this brand of clear also makes coatings for the aviation industry.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Ok, thanx for clearing that for me.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Well for my first attempts at spray painting I will stick to acrylic. 2k may be easier with experience but would rather have the room for error.

But I was also given a full tin of dupont 2k quicksilver and clear if I ever want to have a go at that just need hardener. Also, unused acrylic can be reused later yeah? 2k not?