Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Spraypainting my VG work ute - the EPIC journey.

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Finished getting the roof sort of ready for bog today, among other things. Had a bit of a failure when i pulled out some of the sanding discs i got for my air dual action, only the first packet of 60 grit was the velcro stuff i need, appartently the rest are all stick on which is useless to me. 60 grit is a bit harsh for me too to be honest, leaves some pretty nasty scratches behind...but at least it gets through that damn 2pac clear coat.

Still sort of floating around doing little bits here and little bits there sorta half lost. Hopefully tomorrow i'll head out and get a **** tonne of the right type of sanding discs and get me some correct grits thinking probably 120 and 180 will be fine for the original paint, maybe some 80 for the vs panels.

Couple of pics of the 1 dent on the roof...pretty shallow, only thing i cant figure out is if i should tap it with a hammer at the high spots or not...in my head im looking at it thinking on the curve of the roof where it is no matter what its going to HAVE to have a high spot at the front which makes me think if i tap it i wont achieve anything but maybe make the repair harder... Think i'll probably continue doing mah thing sanding and have some more experienced eyes look over the car a bit and help me get into the bog phase.

002-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Not much new to report...Waiting on funds really to get some more sandpaper and some fittings and stuff for the compressor.

Really hating trying to remove paint from stuff, like the nooks and crannys of some of the plastic bits like the bumpers and the rear corners and nooks and crannys of the body where there is bits and pieces of rust and stuff.

Still gotta get a reo bar, a fibreglass repair kit a passenger quarter panel possibly a drivers quarter panel...A tailgate too and the nose of the bonnet to me, seems to be a little bent and dented so maybe another bonnet. And the bumper and rear plastic corners and giving me the shits so badly that i've considered ditching them and getting a fibreglass bodykit. Cant find a decent supplier in adelaide, the one mob that i had bookmarked from ages ago im not even sure if they're in business any more (SA fibreglass).

Still not sure what im doing in the tray but leaning towards just brushing in deadener and throwing the plastic tub liner back in.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
The disposable ones hi_ryder, how long do they last? long enough to spray a car start to finish?

it all depends on how much you use it. if your going flat out maybe a couple of months. my last one lasted like a year and a half cause i kept in it an air tight container when i wasnt using it. plus i didnt do a whole lot of work with it. i primed a couple of repaints with it stuff like that... i only used it spraying primers and paints and stuff, not for filtering air for tools and stuff...

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
Ah beauty, I'll add it to the list of things to get ;)

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Pulled the seats and a bunch of interior out and started to clean up some more dirt and dust out of the nooks and crannies today. Rough sanded the top skirt thingies the hooks for the cover are on too. Thinking about leaving the plastic tub liner out and if so will need to patch a bunch of pop rivet holes along the top of all three pieces.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
Keep the pictures coming. Best shape ute holden has brought out and I can't wait to see it finished...

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Little pic of one of my leather seats mocked in there. Still a little bit of grinding and bolting up to be done to get them in properly, but i have a vision of how it will work at least now....I put the job in the too hard basket ages ago...pulled it out of the too hard basket the other day and problem solved it almost immediately... I think it was a tool issue, i couldn't see around the problem because i didn't have the tools sitting there to get it done i guess.

Basically VX seats on VN-VS rails. The base on stock seats are nut and bolt fixed to the rails, have to drill an extra hole or two to fix them the same. And then the vx backrest just bolts onto the base, little bit of grinding there because stock vn-vs backrest sort of bolts to the rails as well....so the holes on the rails are in the way... not sure but its possible i may have to actually bolt the backrest to the base and the rails... Hrmmm. Might go look at that on the vx seat i haven't pulled apart yet...

IMG_1080.jpg

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
on a humid day, you will be emptying that catcher every 5 seconds. i havnt got the proper jobbie like hi-rider posted, but i have two (2) 600ml catchers inline. im finding even those when they have 5mm of water in them need emptying and you gotta check EVERY coat.

nothin worse than getting a perfect base coat, then watching your clear fish eye and run. may as well just prepsol the whole job and start over at that point.

VSSS_5L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5L
Actually the one I have isn't even mounted fully vertically because of space issue on the compressor outlets. Where did you get your 600ml ones from? Price?

Cheers for the response an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.