Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaking brakes

Pigg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore v6 Sportwagon
G’day everyone just after some thoughts
I changed my front brakes last weekend on my series 1 SSV with DBA T2 slotted rotors and HI-Q pads was all good for a couple of days but they started squeaking abit not badly but never had the problem before, anyone running the same rotor and pad set up? Cheers

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I fitted Bendix Ultimate pads to my VH and had the same problem. It only squealed when putting the car back in the garage, it is because of having metal in the pads. The car is up on stands at the moment while I wait for some ceramic pads to arrive.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Just standard Bendix pads work the best in a road car and don't squeal. Metallic and higher performance pads only work better with heat and wear the rotors faster. Unless you're continually braking down long hills and carrying high loads etc, performance pads don't reach the temperatures for maximum braking efficiency.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was recommended the Hi Q’s and have used them before without a problem. What pads do you run?
I run A1RMs. They are a semi race pad but grab well on a cold rotor, best pad I have ever used. You probably won't find any though as QFM closed down.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Most high performance pads will squeal or make noise in some form

I have the DBA XP on mine and they can be noisy in the rears

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I run A1RMs. They are a semi race pad but grab well on a cold rotor, best pad I have ever used. You probably won't find any though as QFM closed down.
There's a few pads marketed as street/race type pads, but if they have good cold bite, they're way more street than race. Carbon metallic race pads are dreadful cold in a road car and not only noisy, takes some pedal effort to stop the car compared with a standard road car pad. The street/race pads on the track if you're braking where you should be, fade and crumble up. We always use 2 sets with the guys who track their cars, standard road car pads for the street and fit the carbon metallics at the track. Some of the better funded guys use 2 sets of rotors and doesn't take long to change them over.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There's a few pads marketed as street/race type pads, but if they have good cold bite, they're way more street than race. Carbon metallic race pads are dreadful cold in a road car and not only noisy, takes some pedal effort to stop the car compared with a standard road car pad. The street/race pads on the track if you're braking where you should be, fade and crumble up. We always use 2 sets with the guys who track their cars, standard road car pads for the street and fit the carbon metallics at the track. Some of the better funded guys use 2 sets of rotors and doesn't take long to change them over.
I'm only going by what they said on the site when I was looking for a decent pad. It would be interesting to really load them up and see if they work as well as they claim when under hard braking. But initial results are a stack better than the street pads that were on it before. I had to jam them on a few weeks ago and I was like wholl, the old brakes didn't compare.
If I could buy more I would. I have a spare set in the shed and they are a really good pad. On the expensive side compared to Bendix.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

This is what they say about them. IIRC they are a 60 street 40 track pad. So yeah not proper race pads. But a very good street pad with some ability to push them if needed.