Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Squeaking brakes

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'm only going by what they said on the site when I was looking for a decent pad. It would be interesting to really load them up and see if they work as well as they claim when under hard braking. But initial results are a stack better than the street pads that were on it before. I had to jam them on a few weeks ago and I was like wholl, the old brakes didn't compare.
If I could buy more I would. I have a spare set in the shed and they are a really good pad. On the expensive side compared to Bendix.
Yes, they're an aggressive road car pad impregnated with a lot of copper like Bendix Ultimate pads and work well but wear the rotors out faster than a lesser metallic standard type of pad. Carbon metallic race pads don't necessarily have more bite, but they don't fade with heat and crumble up like a road car pad. The brakes feel the same after 10 laps where the road car pads begin to fade after 3 corners of hard braking.

There was a good QFM pad we used in HQ racing years ago and was discontinued for some reason. Nothing ever quite matched that pad!

I'm trying to find a Brembo front pad that does more than 3 stops signs before I need to clean the wheels. The stock Redline pads throw some seriously heavy brake dust!

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I have fitted my last pair of QFM HPX pads to the front of my SV6. No more to be found. Have used them since 2008 on my LX8 Adventra - and what an upgrade over standard pads that was.
They do wear discs quickly, having just changed my front discs at the same time because of the strong lipping I noticed.
The HPXs have always been a bit "creaky" - this has been the case for this car and the last set were the same sound.
The improvement in stopping is worth it though.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used to run HPX on the old ute and never noticed any noises. They were a nice pad. Shame QFM went under as I'm in the same boat with only one spare front seat and one spare rear set of A1RMs in the shed now. Brakes Direct put me on to QFM and no regrets.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From what I've read about Ultimates from Brakes Direct IIRC, is that they tend to be harsh on rotors if you use them lightly, such as most people would on the street. But if you jamb them on nice and firm 90% of the time the rotors fair better.

Nunz149

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Commodore Equip
(EDIT: Ignore, as apparently I have another JC account I wasn't aware of :D)

Last edited:

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Just standard Bendix pads work the best in a road car and don't squeal. Metallic and higher performance pads only work better with heat and wear the rotors faster. Unless you're continually braking down long hills and carrying high loads etc, performance pads don't reach the temperatures for maximum braking efficiency.

What Pads are you running in your Ute and new Wagon (If different from OEM)? Given with both you're running the SS brakes

Im soon to do the SS upgrade on my SV6, and have gone with Bendix Ultimate rotors , and have been deciding on Pads

Currents are the Bendix Ultra Premium from Supercheap, they have been good but have started to squeak rather consistently.

Have considered Ultimates but they seem rather dusty and overkill for everyday use (Including the weekend spirited drive through the hills)
Thought of simply going either General CT's, but also considered the Calibre pads (Which seem to be a Supercheap re-box of General CT's?)

Nothing like overthinking the parts choices :)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Seem like pads are a fire triangle style blend of effectiveness, dust and squeal. Plus cost layered on top.

A mate has something very squeaky in his 993. Great for tracking, less good for Melb traffic.

Just did the rear pads in the MrBishi after annoying the wife for about 3 months.
Bendix DB1390. Light duty s hopefully will last for a fair while.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have just taken off the Bendix Ultimate on my Vh. I have just checked the rotor thickness (RDA) as compared with a new set. No wear at all. That would be roughly about 2,000 ks. In the same time the pads have shown some wear, approximately 1 mm per pad.