Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SRS side airbag bypass IS POSSIBLE!!

Fizzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
A CAR
Hi guys.
I have a vy acclaim wagon. The front seats are as most commodores ( drivers side ) Cactus!
i have a set of SS seats ill be putting in the next few days. The SS seats dont have the seat airbags. I have read that this was a problem
for some people doing an interior swap. I have a solution to the problem. After much research, i have come up with what i call " THE BLACK BOX"
its so simple. just un plug your seats, whip in your new ones ( from what ever model you choose ) and plug in the "BLACK BOX" into the SRS loom ( orange plug )
This mimics the load of a air bag to the SRS module. NO AIR BAG LIGHT OR WARNING!!. From the research & testing i have done it will not effect the operation of the driver & passenger side airbags or seat belt pre tentioners. I completely understand and am fully aware of legal complications involved & am prepared to take the risk. I just wanted to put it out there that it can be done.

IMG_0742.jpg

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Whats inside the "black box"?
Resistors?

And how did you test said device? Roll a car?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Not only legal complications, but you will have no insurance as well.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
we have one of those in the bosses work car, as she has a bus seat in her CRV to take out shock, viabration... seat and hand controls needed certing so got that certed at the same time...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
we have one of those in the bosses work car, as she has a bus seat in her CRV to take out shock, viabration... seat and hand controls needed certing so got that certed at the same time...

that's it, end of the day you want to do a mod like the OP - just get it certified.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
exactly, $500 now, or $15000 later when you have no insurance ..

Fizzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
A CAR
Yeah that's my intention to get it certified. This was just a prototype really. I don't want to reveal what's in the box. It took me quite some time to work out how to do this. It was bench tested with a bcm & srs modules. With a trigger being sent from sensors to air bags, All other bags would deploy.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Ok, just to follow the thought pattern here (before all the finger pointing and insurance stuff) I made this list:

1) Remove seats with airbags
2) install second hand and seats without airbags
3) See that SRS/Airbag light is constantly on now
4) Create device to "trick" BCM into thinking airbags are installed
5) Get vehicle with two less safety airbags certified
6) Profit?

Is this correct, this is your plan?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Ok, just to follow the thought pattern here (before all the finger pointing and insurance stuff) I made this list:

1) Remove seats with airbags
2) install second hand and seats without airbags
3) See that SRS/Airbag light is constantly on now
4) Create device to "trick" BCM into thinking airbags are installed
5) Get vehicle with two less safety airbags certified
6) Profit?

Is this correct, this is your plan?

He didn't openly say he planned on getting it certified, however aftermarket seats can and do get certified - the ones that came out just happened to have airbags in them.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeah that's my intention to get it certified. This was just a prototype really. I don't want to reveal what's in the box. It took me quite some time to work out how to do this. It was bench tested with a bcm & srs modules. With a trigger being sent from sensors to air bags, All other bags would deploy.

See above.
Seats are not aftermarket.

Really struggling to see why this is a modification people are actually interested in.
Haven't engaged "its a bad idea" mode just yet, waiting to see why its a thing someone would want to do