Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ss auto????

RichardW

Reaction score
Lads,

I too have a ex "chaser", "ex-cop car" not sure what is the difference though. And mine I can 100% guarantee has factory mods. These include things such as, transmittion mod, sump protector plate (too save things falling off when going over speed humps too fast), along with a number of other things. As for engine/chips etc, they may be tuned slightly different but there is no chips added.

These are all outlined at http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/vy/index.html#p9c1

I have pasted info below.

Commodore 9C1 Pack (Police Pack)
All 9C1 pack Commodores have the following above what is on standard Commodores: ABS, FE2 Sports Suspension, LSD, 15" x 7" rims, 225 x 60 R15 tyres, Passenger's Airbag, Sump protector plate, additional Wiring Loom (supplying power for lights siren etc.), modified Transmission Gate (can manually select 2nd gear in auto box without depressing top of gear stick), Interior Dome Light with Incorporated Map Reading lights (as per Calais), Interior Lights Isolation Switch (isolates glovebox light, boot and interior dome and map reading lights), Front brake pads are Bendix Ultimate, Rear Brake Pads are standard "Akibono" made by PBR. A larger higher capacity battery with 450 CCA and 115 min RC. The Speedo has 2 km/h increments marked. Any VT/VX/VY Commodore can have the "Police Mode" digital speed indication feature enabled under the Speedo dial with Tech 2 at a dealership. Takes about 3 minutes. In doing this, the vehicle looses the Speed Alert feature.
9C1 gets 2 horns, the standard 400hz horn plus a more powerful 450hz horn.

The following features are service and state specific variations fitted on request only:
Fuel tank protector plate,
Electric Windows (ordered on some V6 Qld Police Sedans),
Side Airbags (NSW Police now include these as mandatory).
Cruise Control
**Holden strongly recommends against the 9C1 Executive V8 due to the mismatch of engine power and 15 x 7 rims with 225 x 60 R15 tyres.

Victoria, SA and NSW Police only use 9C1 V8 option on Commodore SS Sedan. (Victoria Police also use 9C1 V8 option on Commodore SS Ute). Queensland Police use 9C1 V8 Option with Commodore SS and persist on demanding availability in Executive V8. SA use 9C1 pack on Executives, sometimes optioning the Country Pack Suspension (which is FE2 with higher ground clearance.) On SA Acclaims FE2 is not used. Vic occasionally order Acclaims with FE2. Vic also orders Berlinas in small numbers both V8 & V6.

In addition to the above, the basic 9C1 V6 Sedan and Wagon is also used by Non Police Govt Departments:
CFA (Country Fire Authority) Vic. - Not all are 9C1
MFB (Metropolitan Fire Brigade) Vic. - All are 9C1
MAS (Metropolitan Ambulance Service) Vic. All MICA (Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance) and CSO (Clinical Support Officer) cars are 9C1. General Transport cars are not 9C1.
NSWFB (New South Wales Rural Brigades) NSW
RAV (Rural Ambulance Service) Vic.
SES (State Emergency Service) Vic.

Australian Protective Service (APS) and Federal Police (AFP) order both V6 9C1 and V8 9C1 SS Sedans. Curiously, AFP SS Sedans have the bootlid spoiler removed, but are otherwise the same as a Vic Police 9C1 SS.

Info from: RGG

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
'Course they came out in auto!!
I have a vy ss since brand new and its definitely an auto (although I use it like a manual most of the time ;) ).
As for dmbowe's comment about changing rims to 17 inch - VY SS's come out standard with 18 inch wheels, so that would defeat the purpose!!
I got pulled over once by a VY SS cop car :cops: and it had the factory 18 inch wheels. Turned out, he asked me for a look inside my car 'cos his didnt have a leather interior!! I think thats the only reason why he pulled me over 'cos he let me go after that!!......

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
helly said:
How many times do you guys need to be told that ex chasers are not modified???

The only modifications in regards to performance are usually transmission coolers which makes the auto's really quite tuff in regards to the gearbox/transmission. Other than that they have pretty lights and stuff but that's really all. This is recent cars I'm referring to. Back in the days of VN's and so on it was a different storey. Ford usually get ordered with the premium brake kit and thats all they get too.

Cops cars are not any faster... They only keep up in chases (sometimes) because they aren't panicing and trying to get away from another car who's up their duff!

The only reason they would be any faster is because they might be lighter and missing bits that have fallen off from going over speed humps too fast... :rofl:

The main advantage the police have in a chase is the siren and lights and let's not forget the law on their side

Z

ZER0

well its funny you know, i have an exchaser and my mate has an acclaim, both vxII V6 autos.

the other day we hit it on this old somewhat deserted road (compleatly safe conditions) and i smoked him... we couldnt figure out why, we gave it a couple of go's too and i consistantly won? we have no idea

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
ZER0 said:
well its funny you know, i have an exchaser and my mate has an acclaim, both vxII V6 autos.

the other day we hit it on this old somewhat deserted road (compleatly safe conditions) and i smoked him... we couldnt figure out why, we gave it a couple of go's too and i consistantly won? we have no idea
cause Ever car is different , ive seen Stock VY SS run 14.8 and ive seen then run 13.9 both autos both stock.

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
When your doing 100 the last thing I want to worry about is changing gears.
Us and coppers do have fear when we do burns. We fear the idiots do don't get out of the way or do something stupid. We drive with more concentration instead.

It doesn't have a chip.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Cops are not allowed to drive manual cars.. It's an OH+S thing. It is reasonable to expect that in the course of their duties they may need to use the radio for communication. Using that along with gear shifting would pose a risk..

An unsafe workplace if you will..

That said, Cops don't need a manual to chase.. A cop does not need to be able to outrun the other guy. The cop has to keep up with them for as long as it takes to call for support. The cop is also more trained in breaking traffic rules and would probably have more skill..

If cops get to the point in a chase where they would only be able to keep up if they were using a manual, chances are, they wouldn't be chasing it.. They'd probably rather call for backup or just let it go.. Is it really worth their lives?

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Interesting.

We have been driving a version of a Sprinter Ambulance with a Sprint Shift-a manual until recently. However a manual is a pain in the ring to drive lights and sirens.

Cops also have a higher crash rate than us too.

We don't break traffic rules. We have exemptions.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Ahh yes.. I was talkin to a fire truck driver.. You can break pretty much anything, but you have to give way to pedestrians and have to observe construction zone limits..

Any others I'm not aware of?