Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ss inductions gauge binnacles warp in the heat. Avoid this product!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
DISCLAIMER:
I know there are rules about not slagging of a company or product on this forum, but this isn't a whinge or slanderous mud slinging. It's a statement about the performance (or in the this case, the lack of) of the VE gauge binnacle manufactured and sold by SS Inductions and how it warps in the heat.

I post this only to warn others to avoid this inferior product, lest they suffer the same bitter dissapointment and wasted money as I did. The failure of this product is in no way a reflection on the other products SS Inductions produces either.

Anyway...

Bought an SS Inductions gauge binnacle earlier this year for some digital gauges I had fitted. The other day was a stinker in Melbourne with temps hitting 35 degrees.

After work I leap into my car to tear home and what do I see? My gauge binnacle is all misshaped, bent, warped and generally looking completely shithouse after becoming warped by the heat inside the car.

How is it possible for an Australian company, designing a component for an Australian car that is meant to cope with Australian conditions to release this onto the market, yet on the first hot day of the year, the thing cracks the flops like some old codger's pecker?

Not impressed SS Inductions...not by a friggin long shot.

So if anyone is considering buying a VE gauge binnacle from SS Inductions, do yourself a favour and don't waste your time or money.

It's shithouse and not worth your coin. It's a pity the JHP one is so absurdly overpriced ($270 for a piece of moulded ABS plastic? Faaarrk off!) But that's the only option now that the SS Inductions VE gauge binnacle (which was $100) proved itself to be made from inferior materials and failed at the first sign of typical summer heat.

What happens when it gets really hot, like 42 degrees? I can only assume the SS Inductions gauge binnacle turns into a bubbling puddle of molten plastic on your dash?

Pisspoor effort SS Inductions. You should hang your collective heads in shame to let a product that fails so hard on the market.

I'll post a pic if I can be bothered...but you all know what warped ABS plastic looks like.

That is all. Hopefully this cautionary tale doesn't see me banned or get deleted. I've only stated facts and haven't said anything that cannot be verified.

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
I use a ss gauge holder in my ford, never has it cracked or bubbles in the heat.

Pretty sure most plastics won't survive 42 degree heats, when it sounds like you just let car sit in the heat.

Learn to protect your dash from the sun.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I use a ss gauge holder in my ford, never has it cracked or bubbles in the heat.

Pretty sure most plastics won't survive 42 degree heats, when it sounds like you just let car sit in the heat.

Doesn't matter, If something is made to be fitted to the interior of the car, it must be made to stand up to all conditions.
They are designed to be fitted on the dash, so they should be designed to handle the conditions.
What if those gauges had constant power to them and they warped out of shape and caused a fire due to a short circuit.
You don't see the plastic trim or the dash gauges in the car warp due to heat or to other adverse effects.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI

If that were true then all the plastic inside a car would warp and melt...which it obviously doesn't. The quality of ABS plastic SS Inductions uses in their gauge binnacles is inferior, otherwise it would stand up to normal summer heat like all the other plastic components inside the car. And you can't 'protect your dash from the sun' when the temps inside the car (whether they are in direct sunlight or not) can reach upwards of 70 degrees.

A product designed to sit on the dash in a normal Australian summer should not warp and if it does, the product is inferior. Glad yours in still holding it's shape, hope it stays that way too. :)

Perhaps try the telephone, people used it for decades before computers came along. It's A LOT harder to ignore a problem when the other side knows you're there.

Well yeah I 'spose, but people used smoke signals and carrier pigeons for decades too, but without a receipt a refund aint gonna happen no matter what method I use to contact them. The 100 bucks wasted I can easily ignore, I'm trying to save other people the wasted time and expense on a product that has proven itself inadequate for Australian conditions..and for an Australian product, by an Australian company for use in an Australian car in Australia...well, you know what I'm saying.

Some quick googling shows this isn't an isolated occurance either and their gauge binnacles are notorious for warping due to heat...I never considered warping would be a problem but SS Inductions have proven me wrong.

Last edited:

LS2SLOW

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Yeah, via email and on their FB page. Nothing.
JC detective here.

according to SC you only just sent an email 5-10mins ago...

and if you kept your receipt from the purchase that was OVER 7 MONTHS AGO you may have gotten somewhere...

i wouldn't have given you a refund. not for a 7 month old product.

Sorry if you're upset by this, but you sound upset and aren't using logic.

I agree with you that they shouldn't have sold an inferior product to consumers, but it could have been a one off, a small batch didn't turn out correct.

I doubt you will get any type of refund or a replacement because of these threads you've made, and possibly the emails are in the same manner.

you should have called/emailed/fb'd first.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Poor quality, Low cost plastics are becoming more and more common.......... just look at the seat trims on ve commodores, how many of those have cracked before the buyer got the new car home !

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SIDI
Wow. You're overthinking this I think Sherlock 'Don't call me Johnny' Holmes!

JC detective here.

according to SC you only just sent an email 5-10mins ago...

I emailed them the other day actually. I don't necessarily maintain an iron clad chronology of my forum posts champ. ;)

and if you kept your receipt from the purchase that was OVER 7 MONTHS AGO you may have gotten somewhere
i wouldn't have given you a refund. not for a 7 month old product

Why would I keep a reciept for an item I bought several months ago? I buy lots of stuff. I don't keep all my reciepts forever, who the hell does? SS Inductions has a 12 month warantly on all purchases...provided you have proof of purchase. No proof...no warranty, just like any business.

I agree with you that they shouldn't have sold an inferior product to consumers, but it could have been a one off, a small batch didn't turn out correct.

Posts on other forums going back a few years detail warping SS binnacles. It's not a batch problem. It's a shithouse product problem.

I doubt you will get any type of refund or a replacement because of these threads you've made, and possibly the emails are in the same manner..

Obviously the email/FB is polite and lovely in their tone. I'm hoping to get their assistance, not start a shitfight with them and offfend people. And as far as this and the SC thread goes, ompanies DO NOT generally respond to queries about refunds/dodgy products in a punitive, childish, 'Well if you don't like it get stuffed" manner. They are a business, run by adults. Their interests are to ensure their customers are happy and to assist in that aim. If they don't want to offer a refund or a replacement item, that's their choice.

I'll just buy a JHP one and never spend another dime on another SS Inductions product. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.