Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS side vents

BobT

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6
Fake vents?

I'm devastated. I mean Holden even advertises that the SS has side vents. Well the aren’t vents at all. They are just a cosmetic illusions. It’s false advertising. A vent is a vent and they aint vents. Imagine Porsche having fake stick-on vents. They would be laughed out of Europe. Shame on Holden. I guess they figure Aussies are dumb enough to fall for it.

B

bdcmedia

BobT before you pull too much hair out worrying about it.....If you want to be technical about, they are in fact vents as the quater panel is hollow behind the plastic venting, they just dont vent from the engine bay. Its not false advertising because they did not say that they actually vented anything. I have not heard too many people complaining about the Monaro's bonnets "Vents" that do not even have a hollow behind them.
The majority of changes with the VZ range has all been cosmetic with the exception of the Alloytech engine!!!

DazVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSSM6
Pamela andersons breasts are fake and purely cosmetic but on one complains about them .What im trying to say is if holden make em look good they sell.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
BLACK346 said:
How does the heat come out? I thought they were
just stick on. You can actually buy them from Holden
and stick them on any model.
BTW: If you really want to let some heat out, remove
the rubber seal at the top of the firewall, you will
be amazed how much hot air pours out of there ;)

Heat rises... ala comes out of the vents. At least heat came out of them when Wheels test drove the VZ when it came out. It was a cold day as well so it was emphasised.

X

xcapee

i actually own the vz ss and from where i stand, the air vents were a good addition from a cosmetic viewpoint, gives the car that extra bit of 'hoon' look. the fact they do not actually vent anything, does not worry me in the least!

B

BLACK346

fourstar82 said:
Heat rises... ala comes out of the vents. At least heat came out of them when Wheels test drove the VZ when it came out. It was a cold day as well so it was emphasised.

Which vents are you talking about the quarter vents
or bonnet vents. I was under the impression that
neither connected to the engine bay in any way or
form. Maybe xcapee could confirm this?

US-Snafu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7/M6
BLACK346 said:
Which vents are you talking about the quarter vents
or bonnet vents. I was under the impression that
neither connected to the engine bay in any way or
form. Maybe xcapee could confirm this?

The bonnet vents do connect to the engine bay but they are plugged with a black plastic honeycomb piece. You can remove this plug, in effect, making the scoop (or nostril as you guys call it) functional to some extent. A bunch of guys have done it over here but it has no measurable effect. There is an aftermarket company in the states that makes an identical looking hood but it routes the air back to the air box, thus making it functional...what it's worth in HP or kW I don't think is measurable.

As for the guard vents, you can at least put a piece of screen like material in there like these from www.fibremaster.com.au
pic01.gif

I think the only way to make them functional for venting engine heat would be to cut through to the engine bay and run a tube or duct to get the air to the vent.

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Personally I like the SS guard flutes I'm contemplating to them on my SV6 when I get it, I'm also tossing up on putting the monaro bonnet as well, I too think sedans look real hot with them on but thats just my personal opinion..

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Personally I like the SS guard flutes I'm contemplating to them on my SV6 when I get it, I'm also tossing up on putting the monaro bonnet as well, I too think sedans look real hot with them on but thats just my personal opinion..

Cheers
Wayne

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
US-Snafu said:
The bonnet vents do connect to the engine bay but they are plugged with a black plastic honeycomb piece. You can remove this plug, in effect, making the scoop (or nostril as you guys call it) functional to some extent. A bunch of guys have done it over here but it has no measurable effect. There is an aftermarket company in the states that makes an identical looking hood but it routes the air back to the air box, thus making it functional...what it's worth in HP or kW I don't think is measurable.

As for the guard vents, you can at least put a piece of screen like material in there like these from www.fibremaster.com.au
pic01.gif

I think the only way to make them functional for venting engine heat would be to cut through to the engine bay and run a tube or duct to get the air to the vent.
i reckon they look like poo painted the 1 colour. they need the chrome strip down the middle of them