Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV AC Issue.

Gunnazz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
G'day all,

As the title suggests, I'm having issues with my AC. I was driving to work and about 10 min into the drive the AC cut out, its hast returned since. I have since checked the following,

AC belt is still there although the compressor is not engaging. The compressor clutch relay is working (swapped with fog light relay) The 10 amp AC fuse is ok and has continuity both sides. The AC system still has 100 psi gas both high and low sides. The high low cut out switch wiring has continuity, I'm unsure how to test the switch itself. Of the 2 plugs on top of the compressor only the rear most plug has continuity the front dose not. I'm unsure on were to progress now, Should I continue to look at the plug on the compressor, Is the front plug supposed to have continuity or dose it switch on and off with the AC?

Any help or ideas on were to look next would be greatly appreciated.

The vehicle is a series 2 SSV ute.

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Redline ute 6.0 M6
G'day all,

As the title suggests, I'm having issues with my AC. I was driving to work and about 10 min into the drive the AC cut out, its hast returned since. I have since checked the following,

AC belt is still there although the compressor is not engaging. The compressor clutch relay is working (swapped with fog light relay) The 10 amp AC fuse is ok and has continuity both sides. The AC system still has 100 psi gas both high and low sides. The high low cut out switch wiring has continuity, I'm unsure how to test the switch itself. Of the 2 plugs on top of the compressor only the rear most plug has continuity the front dose not. I'm unsure on were to progress now, Should I continue to look at the plug on the compressor, Is the front plug supposed to have continuity or dose it switch on and off with the AC?

Any help or ideas on were to look next would be greatly appreciated.

The vehicle is a series 2 SSV ute.

I suspect you have a leak in your plumbing possibly one of the o rings at the connecting plumbing maybe faulty. Mine did the same thing.. If there is no gas in the system the compressor will not turn on... You stated you have gas in the system are you 100 % sure about that?

VTSS304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Manual
with the front plug on the compressor, try and work out which side is positive and connect 12V to it, and earth the other side, that plug is what tells the clutch in the A/C to turn on. When you supply power you should hear a click as it tries to engage even with the car and engine off. If theres no click, try doing the same experiment with the car running. If still no click or engagment it's likely to be the clutch on the compressor is buggered. thus most likely a new compressor.

Rivers56

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V
Just fixed my AC after not working for a whole year. After about 150k it stopped. Unplug the connector on the compressor itself turn the AC on and you should have a constant voltage. If not could be pressure switch or a fuse or even a wiring issue. Mine had power and as I had it re gased already with no success I knew it was the compressor. Bursons quoted me $800 for the one for the 3.6l engine. Went on eBay found a Calais being wrecked in Melbourne and bought one for $100! A mate installed it at his work now it's all good. Would hate to think what Holden would charge