Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Clutch - Plan of attack....

TAS1981

Reaction score
Hi Guys - I know this has been talked about a lot on here but I just want some form of consensus before I start thinking about laying out cash etc...

I have a 2007 SSV with 108k kms on it. I don't do burnouts but I do like the occasional hard acceleration! In the last month I have done this twice, Not just dumping clutch but accelerating hard through 1st to 3rd.

Both times with stability turned off I have had a very strong clutch smell that's has lingered for a while. Furthermore though it went ok and traction seemed pretty good I kind of expected it to spin the wheels a touch as from stand still but it didn't. It did not feel like slipping as such I am gussing it did with the strong smell and no wheel spin with ESP off??? i think basically tyre traction was greater than clutch friction...which is in my book, not good as I should be modualting with my right foot, not car internals!

Anyway...question are as follows...

1) Is it worth flushing the clutch fluid for some new stuff? I am about 70% certain it won't help at all. Is there something else to try?
2) What clutch kit do people recommend a) The later Holden LS7 or b) an aftermarket kit...which one?
3) How much am I looking at $$$ wise for the kit and fitting?

The more time I spend with the SSV the more parts I find where Holden cut costs. Its a shame that the engine is let down by a lot of the other parts ciritcal to a "performance car". I also don't want to even think about towing my little boat yet as I think it will fry the clutch!

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
Sounds like a slipping clutch mate, to confirm it, you can try this:

cruising at 80kays, in top gear, then clutch kick it. Watch the revs. The revs should jump up then fall down to where it was very rapidly as u disengage and engage the clutch. If the revs when up then comes down slowly or even keeps going up or holding, then your clutch is definitely slipping.

The OEM replacement is quite expensive as the VE has a dual mass clutch kit I think. You will be looking at $1000 for parts or more, then another $500 for labour I would estimate. Ring a dealer and find out, then also ring other garages to compare.

TAS1981

Reaction score
Sounds like a slipping clutch mate, to confirm it, you can try this:

cruising at 80kays, in top gear, then clutch kick it. Watch the revs. The revs should jump up then fall down to where it was very rapidly as u disengage and engage the clutch. If the revs when up then comes down slowly or even keeps going up or holding, then your clutch is definitely slipping.

The OEM replacement is quite expensive as the VE has a dual mass clutch kit I think. You will be looking at $1000 for parts or more, then another $500 for labour I would estimate. Ring a dealer and find out, then also ring other garages to compare.

Cool I will try that - I have tried the handbrake on and try and pull away in 1st and it stalls fine. I have tested it a few different ways and I thought it ok, just when I really boot it it complains and smells! Hence why I wonder whether a fluid refresh will do anything?

Also if the OEM replacement is expensive am I better off going after market?

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
My LS7 clutch has lasted fine, and got a few mates with close to 400rwkw still got them, but then hear others kill them with much less power.... depends on how hard you are on the I suppose. I've seen them for sale in the states for $430!

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
is my clutch slipping i doing 30km and im approaching my drive way slowing down so i put me clutch in and its rev up and held for a second before dropping down and its done this once before while going slow

sorry to hijack thread VE SV6 manual

TAS1981

Reaction score
My LS7 clutch has lasted fine, and got a few mates with close to 400rwkw still got them, but then hear others kill them with much less power.... depends on how hard you are on the I suppose. I've seen them for sale in the states for $430!

Is that as standard from a newer model or added in a warranty fix? I'll do a search for LS7 clutches and see what I can find....

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Is that as standard from a newer model or added in a warranty fix? I'll do a search for LS7 clutches and see what I can find....

off the top of my head, from MY9.5 onwards you got the LS7 clutch, so the last of the series 1's and all the Series 2's.

Mine is a 2010 Series 2 so from the factory.

Also, Early VE's had a lot of Slave cylinder issues from what I remember. Sucking in air and shitting themselves leaving the pedal on the floor.

TAS1981

Reaction score
So I syphoned out the reservoir and replenished, pumped clutch a lot and repeat, took it for a sound, repeat process. Fluid is now much cleaner and on dumping clutch a couple if times, no smell it slip....awesome!

(I don't intend on doing it that much!)