Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Redline Tyres

Fastlane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Been a while since there has been any discussion on tyres. lots have appeared since then (or disappeared).

Anyone fond of anything in particular these days? I've been recommended a few by various people... and some I've easily found to be crap.. some Delmax brand was one of the suggestions made by a tyre fitter (eww).

Some others - does anyone have some experience with them? Or perhaps something else I should consider? Interested in a performance tyre - not daily driver/grandma.. I would've bought an Evoke if I wanted that ;)

Continental MC 6
Yokohaha AD09
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup

Cheers!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
PS 4S. You'll be happy with those.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The ps4/5 series should give you better track times.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Agree PS4’s are the go

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Of the Michelins, the Pilot Sport Cup 2 is more performance-oriented, but they’ll wear out pretty quickly … the 4S is next in terms of performance but won’t wear as quickly as the Cup … and the 4 will last longer again and is slightly less performancey again.
The Cup is, however, not as grippy as the 4S in the wet & theoretically needs to warm up or feels slippery; I’ve driven a Cayman GT4 normally around the suburbs on cold Cup 2’s and they’re in no way skaty or slippery in the dry. The owner of said car reckons the same in the wet as long as you drive normally.
There’s a non-S 5 which they started rolling-out to replace the non-S 4 maybe 6 months ago, and they seem more grippy than the 4 but IMHO makes the non-S 4 cheaper than it would be too … the 5 appears to sit between the 4 & the 4S at the moment.
The Pilot Sport 4S replaced the Super Sport, you’d go 4S over Super Sport (and maybe wonder how old any Super Sports on the market might be?).

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup
Although Sport Cup2 are legal road tyres, they're R spec race tyres and no good on the street. They've got awesome dry grip when warmed up and ride comfortably, but they throw rocks all over the car with great stone chip potential being ultra-soft compound, wear badly and aren't good in the wet. Some BMW M models have Cup2's fitted standard, and the Australian dealers tend to remove them prior to sale and fit Super Sports or Pilot Sport 4S.

I like Bridgestone's personally and fit RE003's to daily driver cars and run S001 and S007A on the toys that are driven for pleasure. Having said that, the current Bridgestone performance tyre is a Potenza Sport and has an ugly sidewall with a large rim protector protrusion I wouldn't buy for the ugliness factor, and I'd look towards Michelin instead. For cheapies, Nankang are a pretty reasonable tyre for the price I've found.

Here's a virtually brand new Cup2 and looks nearly worn out with their minimal tread depth.

20200610_205912 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Falken FK510s are what I’m using…

Got recommended these by the local tyre mobs as the value alternative to the PS4(non S) as they are over $100 cheaper per tyre.

Seems grippy enough in both wet and dry street driving, i floor it here and there and drive more “sprinted” vs the common Camry drivers but nothing too serious.