Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

standard deck height and safe max to shave off.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
Had a bit of a search on google and couldn't find A measurement, I've got a set of heads that have been tricked out some time in the past, Id like to have them shaved to up the compression a bit, but I'd like to make sure they haven't been ground already. And how much can you shave off them?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I've seen you post this before with no answer, so it might be worth your while talking to a builder or head shop.

Might get a better response posting in the V8 development section.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Pretty sure a common trend is about 30-40 thou off the heads. Machinist will be able to tell you exactly how much you can do.
Don't forget you will have to do shave the same amount off your inlet manifold otherwise there is a real chance of water leaks.
Doing heads alone is the half arsed way of gaining compression. Not sure how much is achievable this way. Once again a head re-conditioner should be able to give you aprox figures.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
Half assed will have to do as it's all the budget will allow for now(apprentice wages) . Just something mild to play with for the next couple of years.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
There are marks on the side of the heads to indicate max recommended. I did 80 thou or there abouts then flycut the pistons. Make sure you take everything into account before you go all out cause the removal of head material will affect pushrod length, rocker geometry, intake manifold, piston to valve clearance.

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
I took a millimeter off mine without changing anything else. that was 3 years ago.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
That's 40 thou right? I don't know metric when it comes to engines