Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting issue - VT SS 5L auto - BCM? Fob?

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Hi guys have a VT SS series 1 5L auto with not a lot of history pre-purchase. The car will only start via a bridge on the start relay (under bonnet) - it won't even crank with the key. It does run so it's getting fuel and spark so I presume the security is deactivating?? however when you press the key fob (looks like a new aftermarket shitter) nothing happens - ie it does not activate the door lock actuators nor can you hear an audible noise of BCM click so maybe the fob isn't operational but it is communicating with whatever to start the car I suppose.... or am I bypassing the security if I bridge the start relay to get it to run? any suggestions ? I'm thinking key fob or BCM.
many thanks

H

harrop.senator

I think you're on the right track but I'm unsure if bridging it disables it. I don't really know how the security works in it. Is the security light still on when attempting to start? Or no it doesn't unlock doors but the key readers working?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i am thinking someone has disabled vats in the tune to hide another problem

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I think you're on the right track but I'm unsure if bridging it disables it. I don't really know how the security works in it. Is the security light still on when attempting to start? Or no it doesn't unlock doors but the key readers working?
the key reader works because it wont start from bridge without contact so I suppose that in itself suggests the key is working as fuel/spark or whatever is enabled. wont lock or unlock doors and unsure about sec light as the radio is aftermarket but the dummy lights dont indicate that lock icon is on. thansk

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
i am thinking someone has disabled vats in the tune to hide another problem
I have a diabled vats ecu that was running in an HZ holden wagon with VT 304. I was thinking of using that ECU that I know is disabled vats with another MID bcm and key fob that I know works

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I was thinking of using that ECU that I know is disabled vats
Just take the memcal out, no need to swap the entire ECU and BCM. Would try replacing the FOB after that as an easy second step.

Reactions: Lex

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Just take the memcal out, no need to swap the entire ECU and BCM. Would try replacing the FOB after that as an easy second step.
The VT ECU that was VATS delete wouldnt start the car. spewing
I'm thinking of getting another BCM and fob and then syncing to the ecu

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
UPDATE - Replaced the BCM & now have central locking so my original was faulty however, the car still will not crank/start off the key. I even tried another complete ECU - still no change. I can only think there is a wiring issue between ignition and the fuse box in engine bay. I cleaned the 3 plugs at firewall, still no change. I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't work it out. I have installed a push button start for the interim

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
grab a multimeter and see what you have missing at the start relay

Reactions: Lex