Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting problem electrical

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I turn the key to start the car and the starter engages for a split second then stops and lights go dim on the dash but if i turn the key back to off position and wait about 10 seconds and try again it starts fine also sometimes it loses all power completely like battery disconnected so i wiggle the terminals a bit then it has power again? terminals are tight and no corossion and battery fully charged

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You answered your own question, wiggling the terminals will fix it, so I would be pulling the terminals off and making sure they are actually clean and refitting them making sure they are tight as well as any other wires going to them.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
If the bcm doesn't recognise the key or its not making good contact with the ring around the ignition barrel you'll also get a momentary crank

D

devilly

I found with mine it was the connectors to the terminals that needed to be tightened up or cleaned, I used a mini vice on some of mine worked really well, Check your earths to the body as well.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
might be your starter motor is on its way out

does it happen when the engine is hot ?

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
might be your starter motor is on its way out

does it happen when the engine is hot ?
Yeah only seems to happen when hot also is it normal for the starting to be irregular? sometimes its a really nice crisp instant start other times it needs to crank for 2 seconds or it starts instant but it's not that nice crisp start

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
excluding any loose connections and, if it happens mainly when the engine is hot then i really think it's the starter motor drawing huge amounts of amps when starting causing the voltage drop

it's an easy fix to replace

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
You need to go buy a battery termal cleaner tool, I bought mine 30 years ago and been used rarely but a tool worth having.

Attachments

• Battery Terminal Cleaner.jpg
    Battery Terminal Cleaner.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 85

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
My old VT had this issue when hot as well, turned out to be starter motor, would crank ok cold but hot it wouldnt start a lot of the time, same symptoms as flat or dud battery, put a new starter in it and it cranked like it had 2 batteries connected never missed again afterwards