Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Startup smoke random

vibez

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Ute S2
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on what is causing my ecotec v6 to white smoke cloud out exhaust when starting sometimes.
I already replaced the old valve stem seals as its normally what causes this.

- There's no smoke on idle or throttle
- No noticeable loss of power
- Steady Idle, sometimes it will randomly increase for a second or two then return to normal steady

What else can i check? Weird that it's white smoke cloud only at startup after the car has rested sometimes.

Cheers,

James

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I always thought white smoke was coolant leaking into combustion chamber.

Only noticeable at startup where its formed enough for a small cloud, whereas when it is running its such a tiny amount per cycle that you can't see it.

vibez

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Ute S2
Thanks for quick reply. You reckon from the inlet manifold since its a common problem? Hopefully not the head.. Must be a small leak somewhere to not notice in performance...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah white 'smoke' is usually condensation/steam. You can pick it easily enough because unlike actual smoke it'll dissipate really quickly.

Given the Eco spits LIM gaskets like they're the latest trend it's likely to be the culprit, I would say in all cases it's 99% LIM gasket, 1% head gasket, Eco heads cop a pounding (believe me, lol). When you turn the car off and the cooling system slowly depressurises it can suck coolant into the combustion chamber though the failed area of the LIM gasket, fire her up and bam it steams out. Does the car slowly use up water with no apparent leak source?

If you do replace them, I recommend these. You'll only ever need to do it once :)

vibez

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Ute S2
When it happens the white smoke you can see travel with the wind if that makes sense. Yea it's using minimal water there's still some old coolant i only half drained it. No noticeable leaks.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The other thing I've noticed on mine, which isn't a VY mind you, is that it's just a friggin wet exhaust system.

Check the spray in this shot, I'm really surprised:

11705413_1632316977014967_7800341648991385381_o.jpg

It doesn't use a drop of coolant. On top of that I'd just driven 300 clicks to Sydney and aside maybe an hour between for paperwork and scrutineering the engine was idling at temp for 15 minutes before that run.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
water vapour is one of the by-products of burning ulp, so when it cools (exhaust) even for short period you will get some condensation