Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

statesman home sunroof install

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
It's cute because what re-inforcement will there be? Will it be engineered? Will it be a death trap?

I hope common sense prevailed ad its sitting forward of the centre roof brace.

It can way enough to casue that 1.4? x .9 peice of metalk collapse surely?

Linzi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Wow, don't know if I would be keen to use an angle grinder lol, but it obviously worked for you... Also is sikaflex the only thing you used? understandable to seal it, but i would of thought it stretched too much to hold it up there?

It's cute because what re-inforcement will there be? Will it be engineered? Will it be a death trap?
I don't know what aussie_muscle_6 has done, but I have a clubsport roof at home that was done from the factory (dealer option i think), and you can see where they have cut the brace out. It then has brackets from the b pillar going to either side of the sunroof, so between them and the sunroof it must be rigid enough.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
Good to see people are still doing this kind of thing.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
but I have a clubsport roof at home that was done from the factory (dealer option i think)

AFAIK Holden do not fit sunroofs at the factory. They are fitted after the car is built by a third party company before the customer picks it up.

aussie_muscle_6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5s statesman
Wow, don't know if I would be keen to use an angle grinder lol, but it obviously worked for you... Also is sikaflex the only thing you used? understandable to seal it, but i would of thought it stretched too much to hold it up there?

I don't know what aussie_muscle_6 has done, but I have a clubsport roof at home that was done from the factory (dealer option i think), and you can see where they have cut the brace out. It then has brackets from the b pillar going to either side of the sunroof, so between them and the sunroof it must be rigid enough.

yeah i wasnt to keen on the idea of the grinder either but it worked fine and did a very good job the sawing motion of the jigsaw might have caused distortion

there isnt any glue needed to acutally hold it up there, the sunroof drops in from the top with sealer around the lip that sits on top of the roof
then there is another steel ring that goes on from inside the car and the lot is screwed together acting like a clamp holding it all in place

the center brace has to be removed theres no way around it, like you said its done from factory
it is one of the first steps in the instructon that came with my sunroof.
i also made a few other brackets that run from the sun roof steel ring the pillars ect there no really needed, it was soild as before there but i put them on for a extra support
wish i got pics before roof liner went back it.

got my roofliner pretty much finished and back in today more pics tomorrow when it done
cheers guys

aussie_muscle_6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5s statesman
roof lining back in and all done what a c*** of a job would have to be the hardest part but im happy enuff with it for now, may redo it later on
pics make the bit around switchs worse then it is, (sunroof switch and 3 light controls)
had to remove my interior light hense the neons but i already had them so just chucked them in
can change colour ect
let me know what u think guys

Attachments

• sunroof home 5.jpg
    sunroof home 5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 616
  • sunroof home 6.jpg
    sunroof home 6.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 956

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Take those neons out, put them back where you found them.
It might look like a sick nightclub at night.. but during the day they are crap and look hideous.
Sorry but I dont like them, They look SO out of place.

Nice job on the sunroof install I guess. :p

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Take those neons out, put them back where you found them.
It might look like a sick nightclub at night.. but during the day they are crap and look hideous.
Sorry but I dont like them, They look SO out of place.

Nice job on the sunroof install I guess. :p

100% agree all that effort an ruined it with the neons

on_d_tox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS spac S2
nice job mate but i do agree get rid of the neons. maybe go and get those led strips and put them around the border of the sunroof? could look good