Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] Statesman WK new exhaust system making engine over heat???

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
Hi guys,
After my Statesman v6 coming and going from the exhaust shop, they have given up on it and put a stock standard exhaust back on it. Problem is feels like I'm wringing its neck.
Only drove 15km and it over heated, displayed the warning messages and then I lost ability to accelerate and waited on side of road until it cooled down enough for me to get home. I've never experienced this before.
While I was waiting, I called exhaust place and told them what happened.
They say it has nothing to do with them. That the exhaust system has nothing to do with the coolant system.
The original system had both catalytic converters empty of the ceramic block. Perhaps that was needed to keep it from over heating.
Any thoughts?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
What did you have replaced? could be a faulty muffler or cat What happens if your exhaust pipe gets clogged
if the car wont rev and sounds constipated might be the issue...is there a check engine light?
maybe they removed something to get at the exhaust and haven't reconnected it..slim possibility but maybe they killed something electrical due to poor welding procedure....If your a member of a road service in your state get them to check it out and give you a report on what they believe the issue is...maybe a coincidence

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
the warning message is Check powertrain. Engine hot.
I wouldnt be surprised if they forgot to reconnect something. He forgot a bolt tighten on engine, the first time. Second time the c02 sensors were connected in the wrong place, before he ordered the longer cables. Extractors, they were installed, and cant be removed and multiple configurations, hot dog on tail pipe had to go, the cats were replaced with ones with ceramic blocks in it (the originals when I bought it, were empty). the tail pipe rattled so I took it back. Still rattles underneath. Before changing it back to a stock holden exhaust, I lost a tonne of power and huge amounts of fuel. 8000 rpm felt like it was in the wrong gear,4th instead of 3rd, which gave me a bad flat spot, no pickup.

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
I wish I had never had the urge for a nice note, thats what started all this back in october. I've had it back to them 5 times!
Is this another case of, women treated like imbeciles...she wont even notice, and she wont have the guts to come back.
One time I picked it up as soon as it started there was an error message with beeping I'd never seen before, and then they got it to holden to reset the computer- done out of the goodness of their hearts, cos it had nothing to do with them!!! I've forgotten what the error was now. Its been a nightmare...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Where abouts are you?

Welding on the car can damage the ECU and give you all sorts of issues.

Doesn't the WK have an ecotec?

Fitting extractors to an ecotec is pretty straight forward though, unless they were idiots. It's not that hard to get a decent note out of them either, but it's also not a cheap exercise, you need to buy a decent system.

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
if there is a problem with the c02 sensors that could give the powertrain warning, but would it overheat the car?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The O2 sensor will give you the power train warning, but it won't cause it to overheat. The coating on the new extractors contaminates the sensors and causes the error. The only way to fix it is to fit new sensors in about a months time after the paint has well and truly baked.

The overheating issue could be related only if they welded on the car and have caused an issue with the sensor or the ECU. When it got hot, did it actually get hot on the gauge or just the warning on the dash?

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
Thanks for that, It was over heated on the temp guage too. Took it out this morning, got about 3km and it was over heated on the guage again.
The extractors have been on there about 3 months now. The only thing I could smell the last 2 times its been out, is the new exhaust. It was put on last week.
I got my power back with the new system, but it feels like its strangulated./too restricted.
Had heaps of issues with the c02 sensors being put before the cat, then after it, with extenders. Even if I had a car over heat due to a cooling system problem, no car has ever overheated this fast.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd get the sensor checked. Or it may be totally unrelated and just coincidence.

The O2 sensors should be before the cats on the WK.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Overheat on Gauge tells me the problem timing is probably just a coincidence and you have a water pump or thermostat issue... Just my 10 cents