Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steel or fibreglass bonnet??!!

kittycat

kittycat
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 5.7 A4
After a 'heated' discussion with my brother about the custom bonnet i want 2 buy 4 my car...in fibreglass @ 1250, i was told i had 2 get steel @ 3,500! So am asking, apart from steel being stronger....any other differences?

vh_thunder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH V8
Isn't the whole point of a fiberglass bonnet to reduce weight?

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
im not sure it is illegal for fibreglass but carbon fibre is illegal because of the fac tthat they shatter to easy in a collision and can hurt/kill not only the driver but pedestrians and passengers etc if your in an aciident.

i dont know if its the same for fibreglass?

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
im not sure it is illegal for fibreglass but carbon fibre is illegal because of the fac tthat they shatter to easy in a collision and can hurt/kill not only the driver but pedestrians and passengers etc if your in an aciident.

i dont know if its the same for fibreglass?

i always thought fibreglass was the same a carbon fibre,just from the way the fibreglass guy expalined it to me its quite similar

kittycat

kittycat
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 5.7 A4
Thanks guys! So basically, its lighter (and cheaper), but is there more of a chance of it cracking/warping after a short amount of time, etc just from being in the weather? My bro says a steel bonnet would last 15 yrs.....hence the price difference i guess!!!