Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering groan

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Sep 13, 2017.

1. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have an awful groan coming from my steering on long turns of the wheel particularly bad when I turn the wheel right. Is my rack stuffed?? I really hope not.

2. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Check the fluid level in the power steering first. The VN-VS could get pretty noisy when the fluid level fell. Check the pump, hoses and rack for leaks if the level is low. On a car as old as yours, anywhere in the power steering could be the source of leaks.

3. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    If the fluid is black flush it out asap and hope you get lucky.
    Check the rubber grommet around the steering column in the fireball too, they can be noisy rubbing on the column.

losh1971 likes this.
  4. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The pump has at least one leak which seems to be the O'ring on the reservoir. I keep an eye on the fluid level but I will check it again. I'm hoping to change the seal today if I can get the pulley off to access the hidden bolt. I will change the fluid next week when I can get the ute back over the pit. Thinking of undoing the drain bolt on the rack and letting it run through but am mindful of getting air in the system. If I did drain the fluid what size O'ring would I need?

5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    This.

Hit with some CRC / WD40.

Cheapest and easiest option to start with.

losh1971 likes this.
  6. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    You can drain the reservoir by pulling off the bottom hose. Little bit of Air in steering system is not an issue it will flush itself out when you start it next.

7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I have a pump to suck the oil out with. Im weary i might break the pipe on the resi if i put any sort of pressure on it. I have fixed the groan it was a little low on fluid about 150mls but that was enough to make it groan. Need to fix the leak and hopefully that will happen today

8. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    It's just a rubber hose isn't it? Should pull off the resi easy enough unless your resi is really ratshit...

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Hose was soft so it came off no worries. I have read a couple of posts where the hose is hard to remove and the pipe has snapped as a result. I started to pull the hose and the pulley and realised i need a quarter drive socket set. Damn thing. I really need to start carrying it in the ute if i want to do any small jobs like this my fiances house. Ended up replacing about 600mls of fluid so that might freshen it up a little bit. Reckon by the time i sort the leak the fluid should be looking pretty red.

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    i will squirt some wd 40 on the firewall as i have the rubbing noise as well. Had the rubbing noise for some time just didn't know how to fix it or where it was coming from.

11. StephenM

StephenM Member

Members Ride:
    VS Equippe Series II
    Mine started groaning after I replaced the control arm, strut tops and tie rod ends. I posted a thread and one response I received said it may be the strut tops missing a few balls. I checked this before I installed them. After reading this thread I sprayed it with Inox (had no WD40) and groan has gone. mentioned it to the mechanic mate who helped me do the engine mount and he recommended using a silicon spray. Anyway thank you for the solution. This forum is better than any work shop manual I have ever had for any vehicle (except for the Flying Brick site for my BMW 75 motor bike).

losh1971 likes this.
  12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah x2 these sites are great. I sometimes find the info in the manuals confusing especially when they cover a range of Commodores and not just the one you own. Some things are quite different on the VR compared to a VS yet my manual primarily has info VS and not so much my VR.... I have silicone spray and I will use that on the rubber bush rather than CRC. It might also remind me to hit my window bailey channels again once I have the can in my hand, as I keep forgetting to lube them.

StephenM likes this.