Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering lock engaging while driving

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Just to give you guys an update - The car is going into holden tomorrow where she will be fitted with a brand new barrel lock and I will be fitted with a brand new key. I will be picking up the cost for this one :(

Basically my reasoning is that trying to fight this legally is going to take a very very long time, lots and lots of money for probably no outcome. Trev vs GM - not tough to figure who is going to win that one. So doing this is a quick fix and will be cheaper in the long run and will also provide me with peace of mind whilst driving and also make is safer for all you guys on the road as well.

Sensible decision if the problem cannot be replicated.

Unless you bought the car new you don't know if the ignition and locking mechanism has been fiddled with previously by some amateur.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
...Unless you bought the car new...

I did buy the car new - that is why i am so disappointed with Holden's lack of service, lack of trust and lack of concern regarding safety.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
I did buy the car new - that is why i am so disappointed with Holden's lack of service, lack of trust and lack of concern regarding safety.

are you keeping the old parts if there is obvious damage you may have recorse

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
are you keeping the old parts if there is obvious damage you may have recorse

yes I am - wouldn't surprise me though if Holden "accidentally" misplace it.

PLZB16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Do you have to take the key out of a VE commodore for the lock to engage?

sciacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Sorry bout posting on an older topic tho i feel as if i must input. This may be completely different to your situation by the sounds of it but incase once you get your new barrel the problem were to continue i shall tell u my story- One morning i noticed my steering became a little stiff like, and before long i was going thru a roundabout and my steering completely locked up and i also ended up on the gutter! i later found out i had to replace my steering pump hehe and the bloke who took my pump apart said alot of the rubber barrings in the pumps dont last real long (keeping in mind my car was 3yro at the time)
Hope this may help you or anyone else
Dan

SS-V Muscle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Bringing this post up again (sorry)... But this just happened to me this morning as well. i was turning into a court when my steering just locked up completely, could not turn it one bit, ended up in the gutter as well.

Luckily i was going pretty slow at the time and that it happened in a court, but im just worried if this were to happen in the open road/freeway or something. I'm thinking it may be the steering pump as well, i'll get it checked out, but like VSTrev mentioned above, i'm not keeping my hopes high for a solution with holden.

I was in a VE Omega Ute.

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
...seems the problem is getting bigger.
Defonetly needs investigation me thinks

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
this problem is not just an ve issue,vz's have the same ignition locking system that fails, happened to me 2 months ago, lucky i just drove into my driveway, when i removed barrel apiece had broken off an jammed steering and ignition. this is an obvious problem but how do you get holden to acknowledge it ??

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
...how do you get holden to acknowledge it ??

Sad, but the answer to this i think is multiple incidents including deaths. :(

All i will suggest is to everyone who has had this issue, contact holden. Get them to log this problem in their system. If they get enough calls regarding this then they will have to start an investigation and hopefully a recall.