Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering noise

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Hey guys, dads been riding me about this so i thought i should get rid of it.
When turning i get this groan all the time, just wondering what it is and how to get rid of it? thanks in advance

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The moaning groaning type sound when the steering wheel is turned is a common problem on the VS's.It is caused by the bush where the steering column passes through the firewall into the engine bay.You just need to spray WD 40 right up into this bush from the engine bay side of the firewall.Just make sure you get heaps up in there.I had this problem with my VS when I first got it,and after being told I needed a new P/S pump etc, I read on here about this steering column bush going dry and causing this noise, and how the WD40 fixes it,and I tried it,and have never had the noise return.Ive since fixed this problem on a few of these cars now.

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Is there anychance you post me a pic of where to spray up? or some detailed directions :p

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I can get a pic of it and post it up tomorrow.Its on the drivers side of the engine bay,pretty much straight underneath the brake booster/master cylinder, but back at the firewall.You can see the steering rod where it comes out of the firewall and goes down to the rack.If you get someone to move the steering wheel back and forth as you look down in this area ,you should see the steering rod moving..The WD needs to be sprayed up into this area where the rod comes out of the firewall..Spray it from the engine bay side of the firewall..not from inside the car.Also it needs to be sprayed upwards sort of, and its pretty awkward to get a spraycan up in there.It could even be easier to get at it from under the car.

Last edited:

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
+1 for bretts solution;
worked for me and hasn't been annoying since! its a little hard to get it under the bush though so try and use the extender arm on the wd40 can and get it underneath the bush

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
follow the steering column all the way down from the steering wheel untill it disapeers through that rubber bush. wd40 usually only works for a few months in my experience, get an ink cartridge refill syringe, fill it with rubber grease (The stuff you lube your brake caliper guide pins with, or should anyway) fill it up with that and get it right into the mofo and all around the seal etc,

hasn't failed yet years later.

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
that should be good thanks :) and dont worry good if i still cant find it ill ask for a pic but that should be sweet.

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
cheers cracka, your always quick to offer advice :)

VS FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
okay so as soon as i fixed this noise, i got another one which i (think) is coming from the main belt? as i rev the sqeaking noise gets higher in pitch at no revs its just a constant squeak squeak squeak, around 3 every 2 seconds, any ideas?