Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Rack Boot Grease. What type and where to buy?

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Hi, I've got to do my steering rack boots and tie-rod ends before getting some tyres fitted.

The manual says "EP Semi Fluid Lithium Based Type-O Grease" is the correct grease to use.
(2004 VY2 Executive Commodore Wagon - Police Spec)

However no one can tell me where to buy this grease. And most places just say "Mate just use anything" :( Not what you want to hear :( Lubricants and greases are designed for set purposes.

And no, none came with the boots.

So what to buy and where to get it? I'm located Ipswich 4305.
SuperCheap etc would be a good store if possible.

I hope to get this job done tomorrow hopefully as I have tyres waiting to be fitted.

Any help appreciated.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Tie rod ends should be pre packed with grease, however, if they have a grease nipple, then multi purpose grease from a grease gun will do.
As to rack boots, why would you need grease on them ????

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
Tie rod ends should be pre packed with grease, however, if they have a grease nipple, then multi purpose grease from a grease gun will do.
As to rack boots, why would you need grease on them ????

Actually NO. That's totally wrong and very bad info. That is the sort of thing that leads to premature parts failure :(

Some reading for you.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/grease-for-specific-jobs/

And
https://www.howacarworks.com/steering/how-to-lubricate-the-steering-system

Also refer to the workshop manual for the correct maintenance and replacement procedure which indicates applying a specific grease to the inside of the boots / gaiter and the ball joint of the tie-rod.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Actually NO. That's totally wrong and very bad info. That is the sort of thing that leads to premature parts failure :(

Some reading for you.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/grease-for-specific-jobs/

And
https://www.howacarworks.com/steering/how-to-lubricate-the-steering-system

Also refer to the workshop manual for the correct maintenance and replacement procedure which indicates applying a specific grease to the inside of the boots / gaiter and the ball joint of the tie-rod.

Never in all my years of fitting rack boots, have I put grease in them and they have never ever came with grease.

If they came with grease, where would you put it? They fit tight on the tie rod end side and the rack side....The rest of the boot is well clear of the rackend, so grease in there would be useless

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
From the Workshop manual.

VY-Rack-Boot-Renew-From-Manual-JPG-CROP-1.jpg

In all the years I've worked on Holden's with rack and pinion steering this has always been the procedure so I have no idea what your on about?? :( o_O

["Apply grease to the corrugations in the rubber Boot and install"]

Also ring Repco etc your self. They will tell you that most Boots are generally supplied with small satchels of the specific grease.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Makes sense, but I've never used grease either. All the universal boots I've bought never came with it, I just put the boot on as is and cable tie it to the tie rod. The boot usually ends up coated in PS fluid anyway, so IDK.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
If power steering fluid is getting into the boots then your seals are gone and the rack needs a re-co.
I believe it's to do with protecting the tie rod, tie rod ball joint, rack teeth, etc from moisture and dust. As specially once the boots start to split or perish.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Also ring Repco etc your self. They will tell you that most Boots are generally supplied with small satchels of the specific grease.

I get my rack boots from Repco and never have they supplied grease with them....Most recently, I bought 2 for my VC....Guess what....No greaser satchels.......So got me stuffed

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would have thought that if you were required to grease the boot it would be to lubricate the rubber to reduce it wearing out from rubbing on the metal parts as you turn and the suspension travels. Little bit of rust prevention too I guess

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
As others have posted above...…
I've also replaced my fair share of rack boots over the years and none of them have ever had any grease supplied with them
CV boots on the other hand are always supplied with a satchel of grease