Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Groaning

melissanjosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
When i bought my car a few weeks ago i didnt hear this noise until a few days later, now almost every time i turn a corner (both ways) it groans.

My bf reakons is a normal thing for older cars but because it wasnt happening and then all of a sudden it came up im hoping its fixable.

Any ideas?

Also is it normal for the steering wheel to shake quite a bit when braking at high speeds going down hills?

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
When i bought my car a few weeks ago i didnt hear this noise until a few days later, now almost every time i turn a corner (both ways) it groans.

My bf reakons is a normal thing for older cars but because it wasnt happening and then all of a sudden it came up im hoping its fixable.

Any ideas?

Also is it normal for the steering wheel to shake quite a bit when braking at high speeds going down hills?

The first problem sound like you are low of steering fluid. There is a reservoir to check just behind the radator.

The second is either a wheel balance thing or more likely you need new discs. They are either warped or had the pads where out and are mangled.

If it is the later it shouldn't have passed the roadworthy when you purchased it.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
As for the shaking Link Pin Bushes could be another...

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
P/Steering fluid.

Replace front rotors. between $60 - 100 each

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
You need to machine the two front disc and apply new brake pad then the shaking steering will be gone. It shakes because your disc are warped.

Bitemylip

Reaction score
Mine also groans. I had the ignition replaced, and now the steering wheel rubs slightly on the plastic casing around the ignition. However like others have said low power steering fluid can also cause this.

worn link pin bushes could create shaking (but usually on take off) ...so can low brake pads, or warped discs.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The groaning Could be a few things, Low power steering fluid (common for commies to leak) or the rubber mould the steering column goes through at the fire wall, trace it down to this rubber mould and push some grease in by hand (Works like a charm) or you can go the easy way and use WD40 on it or silicone spray.

the second one as allready stated seems like your discs are warped, won't take long to check those, pull a front wheel off and have a look at those big round things that the brake calliper is on, if they look fairly thick still you can get them machined, otherwise your up for new ones, if it was a wheel balance issue i'd expect you to have said the steering wheel is shaking at higher speeds.

Does the brake pedal pulsate or push back against you on sudden stopping or when the ABS kicks in?

vswgn_55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon Executive
guys just on this, ( dont mean to be rude by interupting) my wagon is doing the same thing. im not sure why but i put in new front springs the other day and now when ever i move the wheel it makes like a knocking noise.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i would be looking at your link arm assembly or the control arm bushes, however...

Did you lower the car? have you double checked your work? are the hub assemblies back on correctly? the Tie Rod Ends are pushed up all the way and the control arm is seated into the pinch bolt properly?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Re the steering wheel shaking with the brakes on - I've found that if discs are warped you will feel it back thru the brake pedal and if they are warped then replacement is the only answer. If they are scored badly then they can be machined but that can cost more than new ones. Worn tierod ends or steering rack ends are a possibility.