Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel radio controls

Auskart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Just wondering what I need to add or replace to make the radio controls on the steering wheel work with an after market Radio/CD player.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
what is your head unit

you need an ISO plug that goes from back of stereo to adapter

the you need the $100 adapter that goes from ISO plug to cars plugs

Auskart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Haven't bought a head unit yet, was just wondering if the controls could still be used.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It all depends if the aftermarket unit has steering wheel controls on board or not, if it says ready that means you need to buy the module ISO harness to match your car.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
The head units ive used all had a W/R plug hole for the adapter

codyjesen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ecotec
I've just installed one in my vy without any adapters. I installed a aftermarket Japanese radio and steering wheel controls work mint. On the top of your factory head unit, there's a wire that says steering GND and Steering REM. So all you do is ground the steering GND one and the hook up the steering REM one the new unit to either key1 or key2

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I've just installed one in my vy without any adapters. I installed a aftermarket Japanese radio and steering wheel controls work mint. On the top of your factory head unit, there's a wire that says steering GND and Steering REM. So all you do is ground the steering GND one and the hook up the steering REM one the new unit to either key1 or key2
Yip because it comes with inbuilt steering control, I have one in my car too, had to swap out the clock spring with the extra control wire then add a pin into the harness as I didn't have controls. I don't know why well known brands don't have steering control built in then again they might as I haven't brought one for 5 years.