Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo keeps cutting out!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, you need to check the voltage to see what is happening... The main reason the voltage would drop that low is if the alternator is not supplying enough current.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
there could be some sort of short somewhere. My V12 shuts down when there is a short circuit, and 'CUR' (current) comes up on the display

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
dephilile said:
I would have thought you could totally disconnect the battery as the alternating is what is actually powering the car. When the engine is running the battery is charging not powering the car.

Phil, you can! I drove a Laser from Devonport to Launceston without a battery. Towards the end of the trip though everything got a little bright as I had popped one of the diodes and itwas pushing out 16Volts.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I agree with Genesis - alternator issue is the first place to look. I don't know that measuring the voltage will tell you though, as it would seem that the alt only lets you down when it's under a real heavy load.

If you know an auto-sparky, get him to "load test" the alternator. That'll soon tell you.

The other thing to maybe have a look at is the power connections to the amp itself, and at the battery terminal where you've connected there. If there's even the sightest contaminated connection, loose crimp, or whatever, it might be there that you're in fact losing the voltage that's causing your amp to shut down. (although, I can't see how that would cause your battery light to come on)

Worth a try anyhow....

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

PS - g'day King! ;)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Phreddy said:
I don't know that measuring the voltage will tell you though, as it would seem that the alt only lets you down when it's under a real heavy load.
It will tell him if it is voltage drop that is causing his system to cut out. Then he can go get his alternator checked.

V

VRc0mmy

I think its al about how big it is! thats wat it comes down to the size :D

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
I see your point StoneX, but if the voltage drop is only for a few milliseconds (which would trigger the amp to shut down the supply) it would be way too brief to show on the meter. If you had an oscilloscope you could see the downward spike, but not everyone's got one of those! ;) A digital meter typically take about a quarter to half a second to update the display, so you'd miss it.

(of course, it would tell you in no uncertain terms if the voltage dropped and STAYED there.)

Cheerz!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I've done it many times with a digital meter... With my old car I could watch the voltage drop to 10.5v at which point all the aftermarket electronics turned off, voltage jumped back up and equipment played again briefly before cutting out again.

Doesn't matter, it appears to definitely be a voltage supply problem and the alternator would be the first thing to get checked out.

liquidforce_134

Reaction score
just been driving again and relised the stereo was cuttin out when up load but the batery light wasnt coming on this time.....

Im very confused?

AT this stage ive got the impression to go down to a auto sparky and get him to test my alternator????

cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I always compare the voltage coming straight off the back of the multimeter and compare it what I get at the battery. Remember the battery is like a sponge.

Also, it would be really evident if it does the same under load whilst the car is switched off. What happens then?

Does this happen at any volume? only at low volumes? only at loud? or does it appear to be random? If it happens to be random I'm guessing you would either have a faulty/leaking earth