Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo whine series 2 VE HELP ME PLZ

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
Ive got a Holden VE series 2 thunder ute and i just got a system installed by autobarn over priced they are but yeh anyway i got slight engine whine i can only hear it when there the volume is below 2 i was just wondering does anyone have any tips on reducing the noise also my amp is grounded to my battery. i list my parts. i also get this whine with the head unit turned off

Focal 6.5" Splits - P165V30 - $529
Focal 4 Channel Amplifier - FPP4100 - $549
Focal Wiring Kit - PK21 - $119
Focal Sound Deadener - BAMXL - $199
Line Out Converter - LC6i - $250

Last edited:

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
no doubt its just alternator whine, stereo doesn't need to be turned on for it to still come through the system...

Its either the amp or the LOC, honestly I don't know enough about stereo installs and VE's to be of much help.

I have a slight bit in my stato but I have been too lazy to do anything about it and just keep the volume high enough that I don't hear it

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
i cant hear mine when music playing but i dont like to play music all of the time i like some peace and quite

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Where did you place the splitter box for the fronts?

Are they in the door?

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
take it back, if they are the same as Jb hi-fi they will have a lifetime warranty on the install and gear + the whine is the installers fault... my JB installer told me about him having to do something (wasn't really listening haha thats why I paid him to do it!) to make sure you get no engine noise

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
Possibly not relevant, but I have aftermarket DVD's in the back of my VE, that when they have power to them (via lighter socket in console), I get a whine through the stereo, once I disconnect the power, the whine disappears also. Just mentioning it in case you have something else being powered by your lighter socket that is possibly causing it.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
I had a similar issue and it was caused by that box for the front left splitter.

Try and move that around and see it that stops the noise.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Use the search function~! Has been covered a lot already.

Alternator/engine whine is a common thing in VE commodores that are using the stock headunit. Not sure if anyone has come up with a solution?

I'm sure StoneX will chime in soon, he has a VE and he might have a solution for you.

ALL RCAs should be ran on the opposite side of the car to the main power lines. The main power lines can emit EMF and induce noise in the RCA signal.
Try a capacitor on the 12V line, capacitors resist a change in voltage and could possibly fix the issue.
All speaker crossovers should be as far away from any fuse boxes, main power lines and so forth as possible.
A noise filter could be tried on all amp power lines.
Cheap, dodgy LOCs can induce noise.
Some have even said that it is impossible to eliminate noise while using the stock headunit.

At the end of the day Autobahn installed it for you and therefore are at fault and need to fix it. Take it back.

Last edited:

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
I have the Series 2 with IQ stock head unit. I had Phreddy do the RCA mod on the stock head unit for me. At the start I had engine whine which drove me nuts. Found that one of my RCA connections at the front wasn't having a tight enough fit and wasn't grounding properly. Once this was fixed I've never had engine whine since.

I think it may have a lot to do with using locs, Phreddy's mod would be the best option IMO.