Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sth Aust drivers (P platers under 25) to be banned from driving high powered cars

DarkVR

Shizzle
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive
I remember reading the Learners Handbook when i first started driving , and the Blurb at the front said '' Having a licence is a PRIVELEDGE , Not a RIGHT"

I think that has gone by the wayside now .

When i went for my L's , the guy behind the counter gave me the answers to tick in the 'giveway test' and 'multiple choice test'
and my P's were passed with little to no effort on the instructors part .

In 6 -8 months , i had gone from a Bus riding youth , into a teenager with a VN-V6 weapon .

Anyone who thinks a V6 cannot be deadly , is as deluded as our misinformed government , I did things in that commodore that evil kenevil would **** his pants over .

Go ahead , ban V8's , S/charged and T/charged vehicles Ban anything that looks remotely dangerous . ..... Theres nothing more deadly on australias roads , then a car full of lads full of excitement and their first taste of freedom .

The system is a mess . there are gaping holes in the driving training and education in australia and the only way its going to be fixed , is a kick up the governments ass and a whopping injection of funds into the various transport departments of australia .

Increase the learners licence time from 6months to 1 year , with an enforced defensive driving course being attended before P's are granted .

Make the PUNISHMENTS fit the crime , Dont just keep issuing financial penalties .. they DONT FKNG WORK all they do is bolster the coffers , instead lets invest in some tech thats coming around the corner . Such as verbal commands/thumb scanners/electronic lockouts etc etc .

If you hoon , you get a shiny electro bracelet that disables you starting any automobile, ( scifi maybe but prolly doable these days)

Stop punishing the good kids who have taken pride in their cars , focus on the 26yo drunk driver in a datto 120y doing burnouts in the suburban streets .

/Rant

Warpy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
So what happens if you already own one of these vehicles and you are under 25?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
So what happens if you already own one of these vehicles and you are under 25?

Just like every law, it only applies to NEW drivers after the cutoff date....

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Just like every law, it only applies to NEW drivers after the cutoff date....

I was going to post the same thing, except that he said if you own the car. If you own the vehicle legally, paperwork in your name etc now, and you get your P's a year from now, do they let you drive it?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Nope.
Its all about the licence. You could buy a car in an infants name, doesn't mean it can drive it when it gets old enough.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was going to post the same thing, except that he said if you own the car. If you own the vehicle legally, paperwork in your name etc now, and you get your P's a year from now, do they let you drive it?

Doesn't make a difference. It goes on your license. Likewise if you have your license, and lose it, your then banned from the restricted cars when you get your license back....

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Fair enough. I just know that TMR up here told me and a few other people that if you could prove ownership before the laws, you could still drive it. The police disagreed.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair enough. I just know that TMR up here told me and a few other people that if you could prove ownership before the laws, you could still drive it. The police disagreed.

Your first mistake was listening to something they told you.......call back on the same day 4 times, and you'll get a differnt answer every time.....
The police are even worse for it lol