Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stiff clutch when going hard

Lorisk1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Morning everyone. ve commy 07 - 231ks on it
Took a mate for a hoon, and noticed my 3rd to 4th gear change was stiff and hard to push.
noted, and just drove nicely because i had no idea what just happened.

on my trip back home i over-took a chain of cars top of 4th. same thing happened .
giving it crap in 4th and was stiff into 5th.

only when giving it crap, it happens.. clutch doesn't slip.
would that be the pressure plate or is it a dual mass flywheel?
new clutch assembly im guessing?

just got the car cammed too, my wifes gonna flip lmao:p

Attachments

• commyhub.jpg
    commyhub.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 130

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Cool rego plate. Is it personalised?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try doing a full flush on your clutch fluid, preferably with fluid rated around 550F or 600F.
Agree with this, but I'll add you may want to take it to a competent garage. These things are pricks to do right and even trained people can struggle with them.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If it’s still the original clutch then it’s probably due for replacement, go for an aftermarket heavy duty one with a single mass flywheel and get the bleeder extension while you’re at it to make bleeding the clutch a lot easier

Lorisk1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
If it’s still the original clutch then it’s probably due for replacement, go for an aftermarket heavy duty one with a single mass flywheel and get the bleeder extension while you’re at it to make bleeding the clutch a lot easier
Reasons for single mass and HD? I was thinking just OEM replacement everything. Would driveability be worse?
427hp atw 511nm torque.
Thanks for the bleeder tip. New to holdens

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Reasons for single mass and HD? I was thinking just OEM replacement everything. Would driveability be worse?
427hp atw 511nm torque.
Dual mass is another failure point as it’s got springs and bearings in it so the smart money removes this point of failure by going SMF. They are also only designed for factory horsepower so it will fail sooner if your engine is modified/tuned.

If yours is a 2007 it should have a SMF anyway as DMFs didn’t become a thing until 2012 IIRC (my SSV is SMF and it’s a 2009).

For the posterity of anyone else looking to change to SMF from DMF, you can’t just buy a standard SMF setup and call it a day. You must buy a specific DMF to SMF conversion kit which accounts for the thicker DMF flywheel as a standard SMF flywheel setup won’t engage the clutch properly with the gearbox shaft as the shaft will be too short.

Possibly the other way to go about it is to replace the whole gearbox with a SMF gearbox, which has a shorter bellhousing but I haven’t verified this.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Dual mass is another failure point as it’s got springs and bearings in it so the smart money removes this point of failure by going SMF. They are also only designed for factory horsepower so it will fail sooner if your engine is modified/tuned.

If yours is a 2007 it should have a SMF anyway as DMFs didn’t become a thing until 2012 IIRC (my SSV is SMF and it’s a 2009).

For the posterity of anyone else looking to change to SMF from DMF, you can’t just buy a standard SMF setup and call it a day. You must buy a specific DMF to SMF conversion kit which accounts for the thicker DMF flywheel as a standard SMF flywheel setup won’t engage the clutch properly with the gearbox shaft as the shaft will be too short.

Possibly the other way to go about it is to replace the whole gearbox with a SMF gearbox, which has a shorter bellhousing but I haven’t verified this.
It’ll be a DMF for sure even my old vx ss had a DMF standard so would find it hard to imagine the ve would run a single mass

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
427hp atw 511nm torque.
Because your car has been modified and making a lot more power than it did from factory and alot of decent quality heavy duty clutches drive really nice, pretty much like standard as long as you dont go buying a ceramic button clutch those are **** to drive and unnecessary for you power level, I made the mistake of putting one in my old cammed manual vr clubsport was a **** of thing to drive in traffic