Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Still vibrating in mornings grrr

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Found 2 old oxygen sensors swapped them in

Engine still grinding vibrating grrr

So got under it, checked mounts with spanner, found 1 bolt into the block was not tight.... started it up excitement plus!!!....but no....still grinding vibrating :'(
Do a compression test, could be a valves or stretched timing chain. best to get someone to have a look.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
My mechanic who lets me fix the car and whos a bit stubborn had a quick look reckons its just a tired old engine but if we wanna proceed he'll help me change to conrod bearings

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Got a second opinion took it to someone who doesnt know me he took car for a spin

Said the vibration is ok and probably normal its due to the balance shaft in the ecotec 3.8s

Upon driving felt the tyres were bad providing big vibration through the car best to try some stockies

Put my spare on the front and already sounds a bit nicer just gotta get some more stockies or new 17 inch tyres

So i been blaming the whole vibration discomfort on the balance shaft but had other issues bit of a stress relief now

Wonder how balance shaft can be restored to pristine nick

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nothing to recondition on a balance shaft, just bearings and the timing chain. If the chain is stretched then it would be just a touch out of sink with the crank so that may lead to the vibration but it's not a theory I've ever tested.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Thanks that unreal repair guide there interesting read

Yea i will put stocks on or fresh tyres and quieten up the driveline but still will have the engine grind prob put a new engine in it or get a Mitsubishi mirage lol