Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

STONE CHIPS

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A retina-burner. :cool:
Hot chili red was an early red tint for CFA Victoria vehicles in both sedans and wagons (2004-2006) e.g. the VZ Executive wagon I owned before the VF, which was the Station Commander's car at the CFA in Bendigo North (2006-2009). The VF red has a noticeably brighter (glossier) tint, but that is because of the ceramic coating. Repairs to front panels recently only showed a 6-digit paint code from Holden and $6,440 replacement of front grill, lower assembly right fender, right headlight; I don't have that worksheet (it goes to insurer).

So is Hot Chili Red different to Red Hot/Sting Red the traditional go to VE/VF Holden and HSV red?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Paint Protection Film wont stop stone chips, just holds the chips in position.
If the film needs replacing, you'll soon see where it 'saved your paint'...

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
So is Hot Chili Red different to Red Hot/Sting Red the traditional go to VE/VF Holden and HSV red?

Two different cars, a decade-plus apart:
Same place and lighting.

1. VZ Executive wagon 2006 (CFA's colour)

VZ Executive CFA Hot Chili Red_resized.jpg

2. VF II Sportwagon 2017 (HSV colour)

VFII SW_Red Hot Sting Red_resized.jpg

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Two different cars, a decade-plus apart:
Same place and lighting.

1. VZ Executive wagon 2006 (CFA's colour)

View attachment 220476

2. VF II Sportwagon 2017 (HSV colour)

View attachment 220477

Red Hot (Holden) and Sting Red (HSV) are the same colour code the only difference is the name used by the two companies.

The easiest way to find out the colour is to lift the bonnet on the VF and check the Paint Colour Code on the placard on the passenger side next to the airbox.

Red Hot/Sting Red has been in existence since 2002 with the occasional change in tint over the years.

I think the colour was also used briefly in 1998.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Red Hot (Holden) and Sting Red (HSV) are the same colour code the only difference is the name used by the two companies.

The easiest way to find out the colour is to lift the bonnet on the VF and check the Paint Colour Code on the placard on the passenger side next to the airbox.

Red Hot/Sting Red has been in existence since 2002 with the occasional change in tint over the years.

I think the colour was also used briefly in 1998.

I used to lust after those bold red Holdens around the time I got my first green-blue V6 wagon in 1995. Yes, they were around then and people raved about the colour. If it wasn't red that caused people to turn and stare, black did the same thing.

Anyways, the two cars / colours are not identical viewed side-by-side. Having said that, the VF is even more apart because of the ceramic coating that brightens it (wasn't applied until about 3-3.5 weeks after I bought it — not in the photo above). There is no polishing required of these coatings: just soap wash, rinse and wipe down with chammy. If there is an industry that trades on utter crap and gleefully fills the fruitbowls of the gullible, it is the window tinting one.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I used to lust after those bold red Holdens around the time I got my first green-blue V6 wagon in 1995. Yes, they were around then and people raved about the colour. If it wasn't red that caused people to turn and stare, black did the same thing.

Anyways, the two cars / colours are not identical viewed side-by-side. Having said that, the VF is even more apart because of the ceramic coating that brightens it (wasn't applied until about 3-3.5 weeks after I bought it — not in the photo above). There is no polishing required of these coatings: just soap wash, rinse and wipe down with chammy. If there is an industry that trades on utter crap and gleefully fills the fruitbowls of the gullible, it is the window tinting one.

A detail and ceramic coating really helps the red pop. My MSE is coming up to 3 years old and still looks as good as the day I picked it up from the detailer. With that said, if you get close to it, the 50 or so paint chips I've accumulated really take the edge off. I will be looking to get them fixed at some point too so am watching this thread with interest.

160782342_503671504136087_7264741443399475947_n.jpg

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride

Chamois... (shăm′wä′) noyce wet chammy, not artifical chamois. I use the same thing for my camera mirrors (and those cameras are more than 51 years old, without scratch...)

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Ceramic coats don't brighten anything.

It's the polishing process that brings the shine to the car and gives the appearance the paint is brighter.

A good ceramic coat should be optically perfect which means it will not detract from the shine a good machine polishing has produced, what is does do is lock in the stark shine that comes from the good polish work.

The ceramic coating is just a protection layer for the polish and in the past that job was left up to waxes.

Natural waxes are not optically perfect like ceramic coatings and depending on the type of wax you used you could achieve different looks or hues, in a way they changed the spectrum the eye sees.

Many people love the way a ceramic coat locks in the bright polished finish and you can't blame them as it can be stunning when clean and the polish has been done right.

Me I'm an old fashion wax man, I like the softness the wax gives to the paintwork but that is just a matter of my taste.

The important thing is a ceramic coat has to be treated with care and looked after and washed gently and have contaminants removed quickly like any other coating otherwise it doesn't last and becomes full of swirls, marring and etchings.