Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

STONE CHIPS

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
This is my old VE Ute in Red Hot.

Among other things I'd machine polished it with various grades of Menzerna then gave it two coats of DoDo Juice Supernatural Wax.

It looks very shiny in the shade and when in the sun the wax popped the pink tint in the paint which gave it a little bit of a different look to other Red Hot and Sting Red cars around my area.

That's how a wax can play with the hue of the paintwork compared to a ceramic coating.

IMG_0452 1800.jpg

100_2938 1800.jpg

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A detail and ceramic coating really helps the red pop. My MSE is coming up to 3 years old and still looks as good as the day I picked it up from the detailer. With that said, if you get close to it, the 50 or so paint chips I've accumulated really take the edge off. I will be looking to get them fixed at some point too so am watching this thread with interest.

When my current Ute was new it also accumulated a host of stone chips on the front bar and bonnet, if I'd known the paint was so soft I would have locked it away in the shed for a few months before I drove it but alas I didn't figure it out until it was too late.

I had to have mine resprayed, in the 4 years since I've only picked up one stone chip, that says a lot about the quality of the finish when is arrived from Holden compared to the job done by an independent gunman.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I can't remember if the car was waxed before or after this. My Redline is my daily drive for the last 4 years and has never had ceramic coating. Still looks like new. Most of the time the car has been undercover but now is outside all day while at work.
Car.jpg

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
A detail and ceramic coating really helps the red pop. My MSE is coming up to 3 years old and still looks as good as the day I picked it up from the detailer. With that said, if you get close to it, the 50 or so paint chips I've accumulated really take the edge off. I will be looking to get them fixed at some point too so am watching this thread with interest.

View attachment 220532

That looks sexy. Can I have the keys please?
#teamred

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
That looks sexy. Can I have the keys please?
#teamred

I might consider parting with the keys permanently for $200k. Should be able to get that within a couple of years based on the internet. ;) That would cover my move to a manual Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I might consider parting with the keys permanently for $200k. Should be able to get that within a couple of years based on the internet. ;) That would cover my move to a manual Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0.

You take the Porsche.
I'll take this. (Next year...)

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Best way I have found is to periodically stove the front end in to around the front wheel arches and get insurance to sort it out.

MasterC

MasterC~VsCalais
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VF2
Bit late to the party here

Look up dr color chip. If you have more than one or 2 chips scattered, dr color chip is great. I bought my car with stone chip rash and now you can't see them

Mick HHH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have The Perfect Blue booked in next week for a full respray of the bonnet and front bumper off to get a scrape and under bar scratches fully repaired and resprayed. Happy with the quote. A wait and see the result, so a A3 Coat when all is finished at the PB