Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stopping a tweeter

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
What sort of bird is it? From what you have said (whistling at night, gone off its heasd and swooping a cat) I am guessing it is a Willie Wag-tail. If so, if you hurt it I will break your face :)

1189664124.jpg

You will also be up for massive fines if you get caught as they are native AND protected.

lol the ol willie wagtails go off, used to see them at my grandparents farm all the time....wow didn't know they are protected

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
All native birds are protected as far as I know however you 4are leaglly allowed to shoot a wedge-tailed eagle if it is a pest to livestock.. which is prett rich considering a wedgies diet consists of upwards of 95% carion and of the 5% they hunt only 3% is mutton (or so I read).

Honestly, I think the best way to talkle this bird issue is (if it is a willie) go to the pet store, buy some meal worms and start feeding it. You would be surprised at how awesome these little birds are. My parents have one that visits their house everyday and he is so friendly he will take food out of your hand.

The thing I love about willies is that they have 'small bird syndrome'. They fear nothing.. I have seen them swooping dogs, magpies, currawongs and even harrass a wedgie! Check out these pictures...

Goshawk_Brown4_Dabb.jpg

Goshawk_Brown3_Dabb.jpg

That is a willie attacking a brown goshawk, a bird that could easily catch and eat him for breakfast lol.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Honestly, I think the best way to talkle this bird issue is (if it is a willie) go to the pet store, buy some meal worms and start feeding it. You would be surprised at how awesome these little birds are. My parents have one that visits their house everyday and he is so friendly he will take food out of your hand.

The thing I love about willies is that they have 'small bird syndrome'. They fear nothing.. I have seen them swooping dogs, magpies, currawongs and even harrass a wedgie! Check out these pictures...

On the farm I grew up on we used to have willie wag tails. They would hop along next to us for the whole 700m walk to the bus stop, then be waiting there for us when we got home. I miss those little guys

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
The next person that suggests using a bb gun or any other method to illegally kill native birds will be taking a holiday.

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
The next person that suggests using a bb gun or any other method to illegally kill native birds will be taking a holiday.

nobody knew what type of bird it was. it could be an asian minor (or another introduced bird) they make heaps of noise and they are introduced. so in that case you would be doing the right thing. if it is native then no dont kill it

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
You could always try rubber snakes or fake eagles that you put in the tree, or even on the fence since it is the neighbours tree. I have seen a few houses where rubber snakes have worked quite well

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Troy/all

At midnight when your stressed by lifes problems and have the added annoyance of a bird making racket since the early hours, anything sounds like a good plan, but Im not going to kill it. Its not its fault it found a nice hangout and goes off like a house alarm all night the same way its not my fault when I am singing karaoke drunkl at 1am or fill the street with JCCC cars.

I'll try the rubber bike tube snake approach and see if it scares it off. all I need is for him or her to move to the reserve just behind us where it can go nuts all night and I cant hear it.

Also I have NFI what sort of bird it is, all I know is if I spray it with water it bounces back, if its hailing hard it still makes noise and I saw something small swooping at the cat, dunno if it was this particular noise bird or not ...

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Haha lol.

Yeah, would get annoying though.

Dunno what to suggest tho. As I would never condone harming an animal.

But speaking of Willy Wag Tails - we used to have one that came to our place, he'd eat from us and all. Very cute/friendly little bird and full of life.

Had no idea they were protected tho! Come to think of it, I havn't seen one of these birds for a long time.

Indian Minors......grrr...I hate those lol. Damn curry fags lol. But all the same, I wouldn't harm them.