Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stories of stupid mechanical stuff you have been told by clueless people.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I told this one a year or so back on another thread, but it definitely belongs here, too.

We were looking at a new small car for my daughter and were at the local Suzuki dealer to check out their small car - stuffed if I can think of the model name - just another shitbox small car.

Salesman walks out. He's about fifty, I'm about his age. I must have looked like a wood duck, because he opens the bonnet, points to the charcoal canister and says "These cars have their catalytic converters up there, where they're a lot easier to service."

Oh, really?

I duck down, just to make sure Suzuki really know where to put them. Yep, she's sweet, there it is, exactly where it should be.

Stand back up. Salesman says "what are you looking at?"

"Oh, just wanted to see if the factory knew more about designing cars than you do..."

Off we trotted to the next dealer.....

forrest1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Omega
i told this one a year or so back on another thread, but it definitely belongs here, too.

We were looking at a new small car for my daughter and were at the local suzuki dealer to check out their small car - stuffed if i can think of the model name - just another shitbox small car.

Salesman walks out. He's about fifty, i'm about his age. I must have looked like a wood duck, because he opens the bonnet, points to the charcoal canister and says "these cars have their catalytic converters up there, where they're a lot easier to service."

oh, really?

I duck down, just to make sure suzuki really know where to put them. Yep, she's sweet, there it is, exactly where it should be.

Stand back up. Salesman says "what are you looking at?"

"oh, just wanted to see if the factory knew more about designing cars than you do..."

off we trotted to the next dealer.....

hahahha clasic ####ing toser!!!

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
on ya Calaber!!!!!

haha, what a drongo car salesman

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Not as good as some of the stories already listed but:

I wne to test drive a VZ R8 as a dealership late last year.

After discussing the finder points of the R8 apparently having more power than non-R8's and it being a 5 speed, I decided to demonstrate to the dealer it was actually a 6 speed by briskly accelerating onto the Freeway.

Seriously, if a dealer is trying to sell me a car, they REALLY need to know their **** otherwise I'm going to walk away.

And I would have prefered an answer of "Not sure, I'll have to check" instead of feeding me bullshit.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I was wandering around a car lot while my son was looking for a second hand Commodore. He calls me over to a VT with a body kit and asks "Mum, what model is this????" I said after a quick glance at it "this is an Executive VT with a body kit added." The young salesman scoffed, obviously thinking he knew way more than a 40 something female, and said it a condescending tone "you don't know your cars then, this is a VX clubsport limited edition." I could see my son smirking and waiting for my next move. First I asked him to step to the rear of the car with me where I pointed out the rear garnish exclusive to VT's along with the executive badge. Then I pointed out the sales sheet stuck to the window that clearly said "VT Executive" He didn't look happy at all having been shown up by someone old enough to be his Mum and in front of my son......

We still giggle about it when we pass that car yard.

Sad to say that was not the only time either. I got into an argument later that week in another lot when a Salesman (this time around my age) tried to convince me an SS was a Clubsport.

They think women are clueless.

Last edited:

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
A mate took his car to get serviced at ultratune, come back later and pick up the car and my mate ask where the left over oil is? (he provided the oil) and the guy replies with "there was none left, i put the whole 5L in"..... Mate pretty much said no its supposed to have 4L with filter and the "mechanic"'s reply was "an extra litre wont hurt, its better to have more then it says on the dipstick"...

So went home checked the oil and it was half way up the dip stick, then dropped about a litre...... What a douche bag

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I was wandering around a car lot while my son was looking for a second hand Commodore. He calls me over to a VT with a body kit and asks "Mum, what model is this????" I said after a quick glance at it "this is an Executive VT with a body kit added." The young salesman scoffed, obviously thinking he knew way more than a 40 something female, and said it a condescending tone "you don't know your cars then, this is a VT clubsport limited edition." I could see my son smirking and waiting for my next move. First I asked him to step to the rear of the car with me where I pointed out the rear garnish exclusive to VT's along with the executive badge. Then I pointed out the sales sheet stuck to the window that clearly said "VT Executive" He didn't look happy at all having been shown up by someone old enough to be his Mum and in front of my son......

We still giggle about it when we pass that car yard.

Sad to say that was not the only time either. I got into an argument later that week in another lot when a Salesman (this time around my age) tried to convince me an SS was a Clubsport.

They think women are clueless.

Same thing happened to me too , went to a car yard and saw a vt exc with a clubsport bodykit and the guy was trying to tell me that it was a limited edition v6 clubsport only like 10 made haha , And started saying "see this exhaust is factory from hsv blah blah blah " Then i turn to him and go where is the HSV decal in this "v6 clubsport " His answer was that they didn't put one on the v6 cars .

Needles to say I just walked away laughing

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
i was looking at cars a few months back, i was looking at an XR6T and the sales man came over and started his talk.

yeah apparently it had "extractors" i had a look under the heat sheild and it had the standard turbo manifold, so i said oh thats nice and walked away

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Reminds me of the "Special Edition" WRX (~'94 build) I was looking at a few years ago, in a colour only available on non-WRX Impreza, fitted with a Jap. spec. Legacy twin turbo engine transplant and wearing a Queensland vehicle modification plate. Hmmmm.

Or the dealership service advisor telling a customer that they had "adjusted the power band".

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I laugh at anyone who says they have a 350 Chev in their VT onwards.

A car salesman tried to tell my missus that when you press the PWR button in a VS that it puts a short burst of extra fuel into the engine to make it go faster.