Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange issue bouncing tacho

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a weird issue...under load, or doing 60km/h in 5th gear etc the tacho bounces around strange issue the engine doesn't even miss when this happens.. I have replaced the transistor in the ignition module, coil lead, coil and the issue still occurs...any of you guys had this issue before?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'm pretty sure the the Hall effect sensor in the distributor can cause this, might be worth replacing it before it starts to cause engine starting issues.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Changing the Hall effect is a hassle. Maybe get another tacho first and connect it up and see if that bounces. If not, that would rule out the Hall effect.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
hey guys been awhile engine has been transplanted into a new VN...running the dash that in it level 3 tacho and it still bounces lol...since then I've rebuilt the dizzy new bushes, hall effect sensor, tried another ignition module that I rebuilt no changes WTF is causing this issue? once your on the gas flat accelerator pedal it doesn't do it only in between

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
one thing also intermittently it will have a check engine light and cut out but keep running and then light goes out and back to normal