Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange issue - sub cuts out in warm weather only when going over bumps?

jameswh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S S/C
Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a strange problem here. I've got a Soundstream 12" sub and 500W amp (sorry, don't know model names off the top of my head, I can retrieve them if need be). When going over bumps, the sub will cut out - when I hit another bump, the sub will resume normal operation. The unusual thing is, this only happens in warm/hot weather. The problem started happening during the closing days of the warm weather earlier this year, the problem ceased to occur when the cold weather came around - a temporary glitch, I thought.
The problem doesn't occur when driving to work of a morning, or driving on a cool night, it's only when the outside temperature stars to rise that the issue occurs. I know how unusual this sounds, but I assure you, it's only happening in warm weather! Heh.
Given the fact that the issue is only present in warm weather, I don't even know where to start. Can someone give me some guidance to troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
When it cuts out, pull over and check if the amp is on or off.

Disconnect all power/remote cables and reconnect them. Disconnect sub wires from sub and from amp, reconnect them.

Have amp checked for dry/broken solder joints.

VesperZ

2005 Holden VZ Berlina
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Check your earth and if need be, you might have to scratch back a bit of paint depending on where you mounted your earth. Earth requires bare metal to earth properly.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
When it cuts out, pull over and check if the amp is on or off.

Disconnect all power/remote cables and reconnect them. Disconnect sub wires from sub and from amp, reconnect them.

Have amp checked for dry/broken solder joints.

Check your earth and if need be, you might have to scratch back a bit of paint depending on where you mounted your earth. Earth requires bare metal to earth properly.

+1 for both of these

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Its strange that its happening in warm/hot weather only, maybe its going to protection mode?
Do what StoneX suggested and pull over to check the amp is on, off or in protect when this is happening.

Might be an idea to give us the model numbers of the amp and sub, also how youve wired it up (subwoofer to amp), could be running at an impedance thats too low for the amp (long shot, but worth looking into).

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Thermal expansion may also be causing a wire somewhere to come away from a contact surface - I have this problem in my work car for the driver's side front speaker, which I really need to fix up.

Check all the connections - especially the trigger wire to turn your amp on, as it may simply be that in hot weather the trigger wire is coming away from the head unit's end and turning the amp itself off.

k3v0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
This used to happen to me and I found out that it was the ground wire not connecting metal to metal. All you have to do is get sand paper and sand the pant off :D