Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stripped gear on VC distributor

M

Matts VC

Hi all

I've got a VC Commodore and stripped the nylon gear on the distributor.

I replaced it no problem but the rotten thing stripped again within 20-30 kms. Any ideas why? I have a manual and have followed the instructions for replacing the distributor.

Things I've thought of and heard of:
- Some wear at the front of the camshaft letting it move backwards and forwards. I've been told this can happen but it seemed ok when I checked it. The check consisted of carefully putting a screw driver through the hole in the block onto the gear on the camshaft and trying to move the camshaft backwards and forward. It didn't move.
- The oil pump may be shot. I've also been told this may cause it. I pulled the oil pump out last night and am going to replace it. I wouldn't know if the oil pump is gone (it seems to turn ok) but am going to replace it at any rate.
- A bearing gone in the distributor causing it to sieze occasionally. This is a real guess of mine beacuse the distributor seems to be turning ok.

Thanks for the help

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I used to strip Nylon dizzy gears on my Hi performance 202, never really worked out why everything in the engine was in spec. I did however find a solution to my problem.

It just so happens that the gear on the end of the oil pump is exactly right for the dizzy as well so if your replacing the oil pump knock off the old gear form the oil pump and fit it to the dizzy.

cheers
Scott

M

Matts VC

Thanks Scott

Thanks for that Scott. I've done some browsing and came across the same thing elsewhere. I'll definitely do that regardless of what else I find out.

BTW. A second hand oil pump is $25, one of the nylon gears are $40. Go figure

Last edited by a moderator: