Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stroker kits

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi all,

Anyone have any experience or done a stroker kit with their L77 ?

Pro’s and Con’s

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The pros and cons are the same for most engines.

Pros:
You get a nice power gain.
You can adjust compression ratio, piston rings, piston design and rod ratio while you're in there although stock is not that bad so there's not as much gain to be made compared to an older engine.

Cons:
It costs a lot.
You have to bore and hone your engine.
You should upgrade the cam to meet the new amount of air the engine needs.
If you go too far you can have the pistons unsported at BDC.
You get more block flex.
You can have issues with pin location on the piston.
Rod ratio can be a problem.
Block may need clearancing

All the cons can be an issue but if you buy a 408ci kit you shouldn't have much hassle with it as that is a common stroker kit size. Strat going over 427ci and you'll start running into issues. I think L77 is about 365ci stock from memory.

Edit: also you'll want to get some new heads or send yours off to Higgins Race Heads for a CNC port job. This is because you'll be flowing more air. LS3 intake is all you need in that area. And obviously the stock headders will be a bottle neck too.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Shane, yes stock 6.0 litre is 364ci. I’m looking at balanced kit with 4” stroke should end up at 402 / 403 cid

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks Shane, yes stock 6.0 litre is 364ci. I’m looking at balanced kit with 4” stroke should end up at 402 / 403 cid

Which kit? There is many. Scat, Eagle, Callies ect are all good US brands.
I would look for kits using CP or JE pistons and total seal rings and King bearings.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I had a 427 LS1 engine in my HSV VX GTS for many years. After trading it in on my current Gen-F2 GTS in 2016, I would never go down the NA route again. Supercharging is the way to go for massive/flexible power and torque from idle to WOT. There is a wide range of supercharger options available on the market at the present time for LSx motors and considerable installation/tuning expertise.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I had a 427 LS1 engine in my HSV VX GTS for many years. After trading it in on my current Gen-F2 GTS in 2016, I would never go down the NA route again. Supercharging is the way to go for massive/flexible power and torque from idle to WOT. There is a wide range of supercharger options available on the market at the present time for LSx motors and considerable installation/tuning expertise.

There is also pros and cons with superchargers.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
One of the biggest gains from an LS stroke is torque. Peak numbers don't necessarily change much but power and delivery across the range does. You make way more newton's much lower. As Shane said you want a cam and heads that can feed it

Speaking from recent experience a blower on top is the icing on the low down torque cake

images (3).jpeg

There's very few drawbacks aside cost and fuel consumption with today's tech and a quality builder

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
Which kit? There is many. Scat, Eagle, Callies ect are all good US brands.
I would look for kits using CP or JE pistons and total seal rings and King bearings.
Hi Shane, Callies Compstar crank and H beam rods, CP pistons and rings.