Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stroker kits

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
One of the biggest gains from an LS stroke is torque. Peak numbers don't necessarily change much but power and delivery across the range does. You make way more newton's much lower. As Shane said you want a cam and heads that can feed it

Speaking from recent experience a blower on top is the icing on the low down torque cake

View attachment 220814

There's very few drawbacks aside cost and fuel consumption with today's tech and a quality builder

Hi Pollushon, has a WP 2300 charger on it already and 222/228 , 116LSA cam installed. Figured I don’t need the Higgins heads with the blower ?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi Pollushon, has a WP 2300 charger on it already and 222/228 , 116LSA cam installed. Figured I don’t need the Higgins heads with the blower ?

The heads will lower boost and improve power. The higher flow drops boost which in turn lowers intake temps. The increased flow will also add more power.
The improved combustion chamber of an aftermarket head will improve thermal efficiency and aid in combustion flame front which will improve power they also will let you run more timing but you might find you need less.

One thing you should do is Comp cams rocker bar upgrade for stock rockers.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Thanks Shane, I’ll look into the heads, they do a changeover cost which is pretty good I believe, I’ve done the rocker trunnion upgrade with bronze bushes

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks Shane, I’ll look into the heads, they do a changeover cost which is pretty good I believe, I’ve done the rocker trunnion upgrade with bronze bushes

No I'm talking about a whole bar that converts the rockers into shaft mount rockers. The conversion strengthens the whole rocker setup. It also prevents the intake port from cracking on factory heads which is an issue with larger cams.

Look up Mike Kojima from MotoIQ he has some good videos on LS he builds for drift cars.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

Just remember if you do a change over with your stock heads you need to check what CNC work gets done to the combustion chamber. If he does a CNC program on the combustion chambers it will lower compression.
He sells his own heads there too but I think you need to run a T&D rocker setup on them which costs like 3k and they're more for people chasing power past what the stock block really will like.
Probably the best off the shelf heads are from AFR, prestige motor sports are doing heads (I saw them on a video) they seem quite decent.

If you send your set off for exchange just remeber you don't get a better chamber design.
Chamber design is one of the most critical areas for head flow as the valve seats are the most critical. So seats and short turn mean the most to flow. Plus good chambers help in flame front which helps control temps in a perdormance engine.
Chamber temps are as important as intake temps... Infact intake temps cause chamber temps to rise so a good chamber that helps lower temps is just as important if not more than keeping intake temps in check.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

Nice. You'll definitely want heads. If you plan on keeping the boost then you can go a low comp stroker and make the most of it. That's a nice mild cam choice but with that duration on low comp being fed by a 2.3 it's going to need a chamber adjustment for max flow

I can recommend a chat to Beau from LSX Performance. He helped me come up with my build, sounds similar to yours and it's come out so good my M122 can't feed it enough (227/[email protected] cam on 9.5:1 @64cc) makes 6 pound on the smallest pulley pushing 510hp Max. A 2650 is the solution

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Nice. You'll definitely want heads. If you plan on keeping the boost then you can go a low comp stroker and make the most of it. That's a nice mild cam choice but with that duration on low comp being fed by a 2.3 it's going to need a chamber adjustment for max flow

I can recommend a chat to Beau from LSX Performance. He helped me come up with my build, sounds similar to yours and it's come out so good my M122 can't feed it enough (227/[email protected] cam on 9.5:1 @64cc) makes 6 pound on the smallest pulley pushing 510hp Max. A 2650 is the solution

I was going to say maybe more cam is needed but really it's not too much of a concern.

The real gains are hard to get with off the shelf cams. You really need a custom grind and you don't need much lift a lot of cams are over lifted and lack exhaust duration.

I can go back to my research a find a fairly decent cam for a blower but I'm new to using valve event timing and still have to do the conversion to bring up the 50 thou durations and LSS with the advance or retard locations.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u building it properly suit the comp to the camshaft ur using as the dynamic compression changes with the IVC event, the LSA with stock comp 9.1:1 once u go a later IVC u lower that even further making it a slug off boost, also depends what fuel u want to use as ethanol means u can bump up the comp even more on boost, more compression means a more complete burn so suit that all to what boost u want to run, i have just built mine and kept 365ci iron block all the good bits inside and comp is up around stock for ethanol and proper boost camshaft and some good dart heads also cnc'd im planning for around the 15-20psi range but im also using rpm so i want to take it past 7k, my last cam/setup was alot of torque down low so with new build im putting the torque up top and multiplying it with rpm as there is always plenty of torque down low anyway with PD blower, a good blower camshaft dosnt need any overlap so its still good to drive around compared to what u have to do for a n/a camshaft

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
if u building it properly suit the comp to the camshaft ur using as the dynamic compression changes with the IVC event, the LSA with stock comp 9.1:1 once u go a later IVC u lower that even further making it a slug off boost, also depends what fuel u want to use as ethanol means u can bump up the comp even more on boost, more compression means a more complete burn so suit that all to what boost u want to run, i have just built mine and kept 365ci iron block all the good bits inside and comp is up around stock for ethanol and proper boost camshaft and some good dart heads also cnc'd im planning for around the 15-20psi range but im also using rpm so i want to take it past 7k, my last cam/setup was alot of torque down low so with new build im putting the torque up top and multiplying it with rpm as there is always plenty of torque down low anyway with PD blower, a good blower camshaft dosnt need any overlap so its still good to drive around compared to what u have to do for a n/a camshaft

You can use a little overlap on PD but you shift the EVC and IVO closer to the EVO event. Boost bleed off is not as much of a concern as some think.
Also most cam companies run way too much lift on the exhaust lobes.