Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

studs snapping..

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
Posted a qu the other day asking wit help about a stud snapping, well now two more are rooted on the back wheel, getting them re-studded tomorrow, just wondering how this happened? My old man reckons the tyre joint that did my new rims tightened the nuts to much and stuffed the thread..no one iv told has heard of this even really happening? Once its fixed should i take it back to this tyre place and question them about it?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Make sure your wheels have the correct hub dia for your car. Also make sure the stud pattern is correct. If the wheels are drilled for the American Chevrolet stud pattern (Aussie HQ-HZ) then they will go on but are incorrect and will manifest itself as broken wheel studs and eventually the wheel parting company with the car. It could be as simple as over tightening but that is *VERY* tight!

Reaper

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
yeah as reaper said the stud pattern should b 120 x 5 not 113 x 5 (i think it is?). more than likely they would have been over tightened over time, studs do stretch and they can only stretch so far b4 they let go thats y its always good 2 torque them up then give them a slight nip up after with ur wheel brace.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
yeah as reaper said the stud pattern should b 120 x 5 not 113 x 5 (i think it is?). more than likely they would have been over tightened over time, studs do stretch and they can only stretch so far b4 they let go thats y its always good 2 torque them up then give them a slight nip up after with ur wheel brace.

It won't be 113x5 - that won't fit. Chevrolet/HQ is 120.6x5. Commodore is metric 120x5. The .6 makes a difference.

Reaper

matt_gotigers

RINGERZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VXII Spac
yeh but i jus got my new rims like 2 wks ago, it was only when i went to undo the nuts to attempt to spray my calipers..like they started to unodo but then instead of the initial click you get undoing them then it was as if they were re tightening..as i figured they were rooted after that i jus snapped it..not a costly problem to solve jus a pain in the ass and if it was the wheel joint over tightening ill let em kno about it!