Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuffed engine

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Personally I’d service my vf2 over some apprentice or teenager at the dealer with a 6 week tafe course under his belt any day. How hard is it not to fu#k an oil and filter change. I dont actually trust my dealer to touch my car after some of the appauling work they did initially before I went elsewhere. It seems like a decent mechanic at a dealership now days is like a unicorn..

This reminds me, 3.5 years ago I changed the timing belt of Subaru Forester, a work colleague told me, no don't do this you'll f... it up, get it done. That timing belt has been going fine since then (yes I did DIY). My colleague not long after had his timing belt (Hyundai) done by dealer. Guess what, they f...ed it up stuffed the engine, they had to rebuild it.

Edit - to the OP I'd agree with Ron, get the engine replaced, I suspect you'll most likely lose more selling it as is.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@SS Flo Rida, I’ve had two different vehicles botched multiple times by different and supposed technically proficient dealers service departments. So I can relate to your view. All issues were sorted in the end and at no cost to me but for the time to get the dumb knuckles to accept their failures.

In all these cases, the relevant manufacturers tried to avoid being involved with resolving poor service issues by their dealer network and it felt like they need to be dragged into any discussion kicking and screaming. Simply put, the behaved like pr!cks.

Sadly, finding a good dealer service department is a hassle, its like separating the wheat from all that chaff which is not fun.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Personally I’d service my vf2 over some apprentice or teenager at the dealer with a 6 week tafe course under his belt any day. How hard is it not to fu#k an oil and filter change. I dont actually trust my dealer to touch my car after some of the appauling work they did initially before I went elsewhere. It seems like a decent mechanic at a dealership now days is like a unicorn..

I agree, dealerships can be a real hit and miss proposition when it comes to having your car serviced but to be fair, so can finding an independent to do the job.

You often hear of the unscrupulous tactics used by workshops to fleece non-mechanical minded owners.

I also believe that simple consumable servicing like oil and filter changes should be open for owners to do at home if they wish without impacting on warranty.