Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub and amp on stock headunit

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
hey, just a quick question

i have a 96 VSII calais with the stock 10 stacker stereo. can i hook up an amp and sub to it? or do i need a headunit with some sort of special connection?

cheers.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
i guess ya could still use ya factory unit cept, you'd most likely need a high-to-low converter and tap into the rear speakers. This can be purchased from jay-car. $20-$25?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
can use a high-low signal converter. will turn your existing speaker wires into a low signal for amp input. not the most ideal way tho.

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
it'll sound much much better with a good new head unit

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
whoa. such quick replies! you guys are champions. thanks for the help. rep points for you two.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
the problem you will have is even if you convert your factory speaker lines with a low pass converter you wont have a sub output! meaning you will now have a low pass set up for your front and back car speakers to hook up to a 4 channel amp but you wont have one for your sub woofer! the way i got around this was to buy a fusion EQ wich actually creates a sub output by splitting up the music it recieves from the front and rear speakers and only sending bass signals to your subs! i sounds tricky but let me know if you run into trouble as i have done what your doing:)!

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
the problem you will have is even if you convert your factory speaker lines with a low pass converter you wont have a sub output! meaning you will now have a low pass set up for your front and back car speakers to hook up to a 4 channel amp but you wont have one for your sub woofer! the way i got around this was to buy a fusion EQ wich actually creates a sub output by splitting up the music it recieves from the front and rear speakers and only sending bass signals to your subs! i sounds tricky but let me know if you run into trouble as i have done what your doing:)!
im not following completely. i cannot see a problem with this setup..

head unit > speaker wires > converter > rca cable> amplifier with low pass filter.

or if you want to do a full amp upgrade..

head unit > speaker wires > converter/s > rca cable/s > 4 channel amplifier > pass-through rca > mono or other amplifier to suit with low pass filter.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
im not following completely. i cannot see a problem with this setup..

head unit > speaker wires > converter > rca cable> amplifier with low pass filter.

or if you want to do a full amp upgrade..

head unit > speaker wires > converter/s > rca cable/s > 4 channel amplifier > pass-through rca > mono or other amplifier to suit with low pass filter.

this is the best way for me to explain!

Last edited: