Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sub and amp question help

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
but if the amp is already putting out 3oow @ 2 ohms or 400w @ 2 ohm and my subs are only 300w each then is there any point in getting higher power?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
A sub in a sealed enclosure will handle a bit more power anyway. Plus if you want your subs to perform at their best, then you need a bit of head room. (this has been covered)

Matching a 300rms sub to a 300rms amp means the amp would have to work at 100% and the sub still wouldn't reach it's full potential. Factor in any small voltage drop and those power numbers will go down even further. The amp will also run at higher temps as a result. Finally the harder you run an amp the more audible distortion you get.

Something like the OA amp mentioned above would be working at about 50% of it's capacity, provide a cleaner signal, and run at much lower temps.

I can't beleive you didn't disconnect the battery. You wouldn't pull something out of the wall at home without turning the mains off first would you?

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
i understand,

And no i wouldn't but i thought when them amp is turned off, there is no power going to the sub/ speakers so disconnecting them wouldn't matter

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
i understand that the amp is, but i thought taking the speaker wires out wouldnt do anything to the amp, and the amp started smoking when everything was back in and normal, so i don't understand it, but anyway as i said, i thought if the amp was off, ( still connected to battery ) and you undid the speaker cables it has nothing to do with the amp basically blowing up? i've seen it done heaps of times,

anyway everyone learns from their mistakes and im feeling pretty sh** right now so i understand now what i have to do in the future.

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
That site is in the US. I don't really don't under stand you mate. People have made suggestions all the way through your threads and every time you seem to come up with something totally different to what has been reccomended.

burner692

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE Zseries
you can mix parallel n series. but what u do to one sub to the same to the other....
bit risky running lower than what the amps rated at... aim for the 1-2 ohm area. if u buy a good amp u shouldnt have to run it so low impedance.
Go look at woofersetc.com . ull find some great stuff for cheap on there.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9

DmanVT

USAWME
Reaction score
Members Ride
'99 VT sedan II
the website does ship to aus and its around $200 for 2 l7's and amp :p haha nah i'm just looking at my options coz a new amp is around 200-400 and the sub i want is 200 so its around 600 to spend so i was just looking at my options for around that price :)