Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Box Enclosure

Which would you recommend??

• Standard Tight Bass

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Optimal Sound Quality - Flat Response

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • SPL Very Boomie - Loud

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Heh - sounds like an industrial duty unit! ;)

Good luck with the project. :thumbsup:

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Heh - sounds like an industrial duty unit! ;)

Good luck with the project. :thumbsup:

The Kicker 0gauge wiring kit weighs 6Kg
The Hifonic Brutus amp weighs 7Kg
The Hifonic Olympus sub weighs 17.5Kg (without box)

Too me that is heaps heavy!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
As far as difference in dbs go i would imagine something like 5-8db...depending on how well the box is tuned if its a SPL box.

Which would make a difference to how loud it goes. As stated above, it'll only sound good with a handful of songs.

Id say if your not after a system that you wanna compete (at SPL comps) with and are concerned about box volume / size, go with the sealed version. It wont be as loud as a ported box but will sound good with all music and be relatively small / light.

A sealed box, provided its the correct volume, will also give you a flat frequency response and therefore decent sound quality.

Reaction score
Flat Response = Sound Quality.

lol, umm, no it doesn't.

flat response = flat response

sound quality = sound quality.

yes, a sound quality system should have a flat response, but that doesn't mean a system with a flat response has sound quality.

lol

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i might be behind the times, however don't you think about what sort of frequency response you want before you buy the sub.....
Really I dont see much option here considering what I have read regarding the gear.......
Deutscher: really you should have thought about this a LONG time ago....

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Stupid sub box!
I have to get a custom made box, because they biggest most people sell for a single 12" is 44L, a weebit small. To get a custom box made it will cost me ~$250. I think I'm going to go with the Optimal Sound Quality - Flat Response box.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Deutscher - shoot me a PM. I'm on the other side of the country, but I reckon I can help you out with a custom box for less than that - even taking freight into account.

If you're interested, let me know.

Cheerz!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Aiming a box to have the flattest response possible is unintentionally going to give you a higher sound quality as there will be less differentiation in dB inbetween the frequencies. Thusforth giving you a higher level of soundquality. Build a box for soundquality and watch how flat the frequency response is....

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
^^^^EXACTLY......the best place to start a SQ system is with a flat frequency response.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
^^^^EXACTLY......the best place to start a SQ system is with a flat frequency response.

Well thats kind of helpful. I didn't really think there was much difference between subs in terms of sound quality.... xcept cheapo stuff. (Guess that shows my knowledge of this kind of stuff :whistling. ) I kinda just got this sub cause it had 2400rms rating and it was featured in a magazine (can't remember which one), and another thing... I have never seen one of these subs in Perth (by that I mean shops selling them), so it's different than the rest of the subs out there. After checking some reviews and stuff, its capable of running that kind of power compared to other manufactures that say they can but real life they can't. So yer, didn't really think about sound quality etc, like said, didn't know if would be noticeable ... (I've only ran a Type R 12" before, and that was already in box, so I didn't know there were different boxes to do different things).