Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Box wood thickness

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Are those dimensions internal or external... You'll need to measure the internal dimensions to work out the internal volume. Once you've done that we can tell you the volume of the box and see if it's close enough to use the recommended port.

Anyway, you'd have to go to a plumbing supply place and ask for some PVC pipe nearest size pipe with a 6.35cm internal dimension, then just buy the shortest length they sell. My local Swan Plumbing place has heaps of scrap pipe laying around that they give away for nothing. Then just cut it to 19cm.

Then you'll need to find a hole saw to suit the size of pipe you got. You'll need a port for each sub.

With that tuning frequency it's still not going to sound very good.

That info says the speaker has a Qts of 1.088. A Qts of 0.30 or less suits ported, a qts or 0.30 to 0.50 suits ported or sealed, a qts of 0.50 or higher suits sealed. Your sub is a long way off suiting a ported box, that's why the frequency response graph is so bad.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
With that tuning frequency it's still not going to sound very good.

That info says the speaker has a Qts of 1.088. A Qts of 0.30 or less suits ported, a qts or 0.30 to 0.50 suits ported or sealed, a qts of 0.50 or higher suits sealed. Your sub is a long way off suiting a ported box, that's why the frequency response graph is so bad.

In that case i think i will stay with sealed then when i upgrade my subs hopefully in the near future i will look at a ported box etc.

Thanks for the help and your time guys much appreciated!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, if you want loud subs, next time look into which brands and models will work well in ported enclosures. DD (Digital Designs) subs are well known for being loud and pretty much all suit ported boxes perfectly :)

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
I finally got another sub box. I had to travel about 100km to get one exectly the same design as the one i already have from another strathfeild, my local one had none left and wasn't getting any for about 6 weeks and i wanted two exactly the same so it looks half decent. Anyway i got it all connected up and man they sound so much better than in my crappy home made box lol. I onle need to turn it up half the volume to get the same amount of bass and the bass is better quality too.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Glad it all worked out for ya. Laughed when I read that you drove so far for some matching boxes. I have to different boxes, one from Strathfield ($60 odd), and one from WOW ($29), interestingly enough the WOW one sounds tighter.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sorry, WOW means "WOW Sight and Sound", yes that really is their name. Their website is WOW Sight & Sound . They have a lot more stores up in QLD and NSW. Your from Ballarat, VIC right? So your nearist store is all the way in Shepparton. Their prices are alright but can be bargained down, plus I've scored some great ex-demo stock specials there. But their installation is great because their install guys are actually on the payroll and not crap contractors who don't give a stuff about the stores reputation *cough* JB Hi-Fi *cough* :whistling.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The WOW one is probably smaller.

No. They are both 1 cubic foot each. The WOW one is DNA Audio, crap brand I know but the sub box is pretty well made, for a cheapie of course.