Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub Or Amp problem???

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
i was wanting to get a cap anyways, but wen i hooked it up i went over everything again making sure it was all good no loose wireing.

and yeah its all good now, so probly got nuffin to do with the cap, but it has stoped teh slight clip i was getting

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Yeah, that it weird it din't beep...When I went to Jaycar and he told me it beeped(ps we have the same cap) i was thinking, oh it an't be that bad can it...got home plugged it up..beep beep beep...thought bugger that..went back to the stroe so they could rip it out, and we tried another one and it beeped too..So yeah, yours is weird...Unless yours was a returned one that had the speaker removed already!!!

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey Guys.

Just had a peek at this thread - it sounds to me like you might indeed have a voltage drop problem there 'cruzin. I note that you mentioned you metered the supply voltage to the amp, but bear this in mind - a meter WON'T show an instantaneous voltage drop (like when a large whack of current is pulled from the battery on a heavy bass hit), but will show the average voltage throughout the "sample time" - typically half a second or so. These high current spikes can cause an instantaneous voltage drop that a meter won't show you - you need an oscilloscope to see that.

The fact that the capacitor has cured the problem kind of indicates this to me. I'm not for a second suggesting that you should take it back, but you might be able to get even BETTER performance if the current path is tidied up. Just double-check all your connections to the battery, fuse(s), all the way to the amp. What the heck - give 'em a clean up anyway, can't hurt! ;)

Cheerz Mate, all the best with it.

:thumbsup:

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Cheers Phreddy, when i put the cap in I went round n redone all me cables, battery + n -, amp + n -. then i went round making sure all speaker wire was done up tight.

But wats still gets me is that the cap is meant to beep wen it charges.

Im goin to wire the Batt + into the hole at the back of cap to see if it will make the thing beep, if it dont beep looks like ive scored one with the beeper removed.

peninsulabands

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SS 6.0 TUR(i)SMO
just so you know, a good thing to do is to turn the gain on the amp for the subs and speakers right down, then turn the volume on the headunit to the max (my pioneer max vol. is 62) and then adjust the speaker and sub volume levels off that.

that way you know you will never get distortion and (hopefully) never have to worry about blowing your speakers by turning it up too loud.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
just so you know, a good thing to do is to turn the gain on the amp for the subs and speakers right down, then turn the volume on the headunit to the max (my pioneer max vol. is 62) and then adjust the speaker and sub volume levels off that.

that way you know you will never get distortion and (hopefully) never have to worry about blowing your speakers by turning it up too loud.

Not strictly true. On certain HU's - including the pioneers from what ive been told, the RCA send a distorted signal at ~90% max volume from the HU. If this is the case, then set your gains based on the point on the volume dial just before this distortion sets in.

Edit: Also, any EQ adjustments/boosts etc made after gains are set will impact on the signal, so be wary of adding anything without adjustments to the gains or volume ceiling. :)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Couldn't have said it better Joey.... :thumbsup:

Scottie_116

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
i've got the same prolem with the sound getting messed up with my system. it happened when i changed my headunit over. I checked all the wiring and the earth points and they were fine. Maybe i need a cap? My h/u is an alpine 9857 i think something like that.

Bubbaj247

VTR247
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT ACCLAIM II
Just A tip when using Capacitors, Make sure there within at least 12inch of ya amp, as this will get the best of your cap, cheers

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Hey all,

This problem has still been lurking around, but i have found the problem...

Its my h/u....

If i have the BBE set to effect 3 i have a major drop in bass wen turned from 22 to 23. If set on effect 2 it still drops but not as much.
Now if i turn it to effect off the thing pumps.

So what i have done is turned it to BBE effect off, then turned bass to -1 n sub up to 10.

Instead of haveing it on BBE effect 3, bass -4, sub 6

Also my h/u has been freezing, i go to use remote, it wont work, turn the knob for vol n still nothing, just sits there playin the song.

Its a pain in the ars.

So im off to go have a chat to the ppl i purchased it from n see what happens if i have to send off to get fixed.

I dont want to go without a h/u while this one is gettin fixed.
Its under 12months old.

Anyway that about it

Cheers for all the input ppl gave me.