Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sub & speakers not working

Shaneus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I second the Response Amps, I have them and they r great. If you say you are an Electus customer they normally make them cheaper for you. the 4 x 100 may be a little high for your splits so keep the gain downs so you don't blow them. Or get one amp 1 x 800 or 2 by 150 for the sub, and 2 x 80 or 4 x 50 for the splits.

P.S. did you have the head unit on when you plugged in the mp3 player, if you didn't it wouldn't have powered up the amp.

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I had the head unit on but volume turned right down.

I have just got back from Jaycar with a new 4x100 amp. They have them on sale for $269 this week. Thanks for the tip about the gain.

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Some good news and some bad news and some good news.

The good news is it wasn't the amp after all. Turns out the main fuse from the battery was loose in the holder. Crimped the holder in a little to get a nice tight fit and away she goes.

The bad news is that I didn't work that out until I plugged my new amp in and it didn't work either. So now I have forked out $270 that I didn't need to.

The good news is that I have a nice new amp. Still in the process of doing some tidying up and rewiring. I noticed the old BOSS amp seems to drive the sub a lot harder, but the front splits sound like crap. With the new amp the splits sound much better.

There are so many settings between the amp and the head unit that affect the sound. Any guides on how to tune the system?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
thats normal bout the boss amp pumping louder they normally do its there sound quality and their known reliability thats given them a bad name

sganro

i speak before i think
Reaction score
Members Ride
yet another VS
IMO, its all good news for you. Even though it cost ya $270 that it didnt really need to, you now have a good amp which i reckon is worth every cent you paid for it. There are heaps of threads with people saying good things about response gear (im one of them :thumbsup: ), so im sure you wont be disappointed with your new amp. You might find that you get a better life out of your splits now too.

Muttley

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
Sub is bridged across channel 3/4. It's sounding better now. Certainly lots of movement. Just need to experiment with all the settings.

BTW should the sub box be ported or sealed? I know this gets asked many times but there doesn't seem to be much history on the forum to look through.

Thinking of going and getting some Jaycar splits to replace the Cadence splits there now.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Ported or sealed depends on what sub you have and what music you listen to. The subs T/S specs determine which type of box suit it better.

Although Jaycar splits are well regarded, I would say they're only a step up from stock, not something you'd change from a name brand to.