Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sump gasket troubles- HELP!

Bookanun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a vk 308 black motor commodore and have just replaced the sump gasket as it was leaking quite badly. I went with a genuine holden rubber sump gasket and loctite flange sealant. I have started the car tonight and it leaked even worse to begin with. I have now tightened the bolts up a bit more, and it has slowed it about 60%.

A) has anyone used one of these gaskets and have they had troubles?
B) what is the torque for these gaskets?

Any help would be great as I am really not keen on pulling the k-frame off again and starting again, as this will be the second time.

Thanks guys

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Your sump isnt bent is it?
What on the sump is it leaking from?

I runa rubber seal, I used loctite #3 non hardening sealant, mine hasnt leaked a drop, are you sure it not the rear main or tront seal behind the harmonic balencer?

scott

Bookanun

Reaction score
No the sump is definatly not bent, i put it on a flat bench at a metalshop to make sure before i put it on.

It is coming out from the gasket, i watched it tonight, how tight r your bolts on your sump? I just know that it slowed right up once i tightened it up more, but i do not want to overtighten. I know they are definatly tighter that the 12-15 nm recommended for the cork gaskets, im stumped!!

Baphomet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 sedan
no chunky hard bits from the old gasket left on either the sump or the block?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ugh, sump gaskets. almost as bad as main seals. if you are using some sort of sealant the trick is DONT DO UP THE BOLTS TIGHT lol. do them up finger tight then nip them about 1/8th of a turn and let the sealer do its work. give it plenty of time to dry before you put any oil, i.e. 24 hours.

the problem is if you do the bolts up too tight the sealer works as a lubricant and slides the gasket out of its position and then it leaks. took me three tries till i figured that out.

Bookanun

Reaction score
no definatly no chunky bits left on the sump or the bottom of the engine

Yeah i had done them up finger tight and nipped them and left it for a week, now that i have put oil in it and started it, it leaked badly and i had to do the bolts up a bit tighter, say another half a turn?

I dont know what else to do...

Bookanun

Reaction score
I have been told not to use anything with a rubber gasket as it causes the gasket to move as ari 666 said.

Has anyone used the gasket on its own and what results did you have?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
umm wtf?
remove sump
clean surfaces with a solvent that displaces oil e.g. carby cleaner
fit gasket
put small "smudge 5cent piec size" onto block where there is a join (e.g. timing cover to block)
fit sump tighten in a diagaonal sequence starting at middle of sump e.g. like a spiral outwards
tighten tonce to finger tight
then second pass too15nm

then blah blah blah you all know the rest

molnar1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V8
Hey there wouldn no tighting proceeder on crank after lowered to do rear main on 308